Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Basic Audio Zippy Fuzz: big, loud, girthy fuzz. Lots of boom in the low-end and some sizzle on the highs. Has an interesting feature I haven't found in a fuzz before: when the fuzz is cranked and I use a strong pick attack, a fair amount of clean signal passes through in addition to the fuzz. I can imagine a lot of situations in which this aspect (unintended, I have to assume) can be useful. Just as effective on bass as guitar, which is a prerequisite for all of my dirt devices.

Biyang Triverb-Cheap, Chinese, and stereo. I didn't expect the world, but I have grown to love this lil pedal. While it's built well enough, and as small as one of those nano series EH pedals, it does not quite feel like it's built for abuse... stable, but not nearly indestructible. However, it sounds fantastic. I have recently begun running a stereo amp set up, and happily, this pedal is one of the few Biyang pedals that will run two ins and outs, it has a pretty great range to it. While it is clearly a digital style verb (I wasn't really looking for a spring style verb- as my amp has a nice one built in), I was happy to find this thing can get weird and quite spacey with it's minimal controls. There are three settings (hall, spring and room on a three way switch, and a toggle A/B switch which adds a slightly darker tone to each setting) and two knobs for blend and time. I have been working up some demos, choosing to go direct with my pedal set up straight into my interface, and the stereo verb here has added the perfect amount of "air" to the signal, without sounding like an utter digital phony mess... It's actually a very usable signal at the moment, almost making me wonder if these "demos" could stand up just fine. Other than adding some much needed air and stereo space, it's a great pedal for making some great ambient washes, and quite fun to play with. Basically, for $59, you couldn't get a better reverb pedal (unless a decent used one). I have not been able to compare it directly to either a EH Cathedral, or any of the TC electronic variety, but I can say I don't think I am looking any further into the matter, as i am pretty pleased. Nice also, that it will run off of a standard 9v one spot (or two AA batteries).These are also identical inside to the GFS reverb pedal, which is just rebranded (but that pedal is housed in a larger box).
joesepi wrote:This has nothing to do with our impending doom. I just love dirt bikes.

www.shoddymerchandise.com
www.myspace.com/andtheswede
www.myspace.com/shoddymerchandise

Kerble away if neccesary. I don't ever remember being a thread like this, and thought it might be useful, especially for smaller ($50-200) items.GFS Surf 90s - Bought a set of these, and put them in the Les Paul DC that Jury refinned last year, and they sound wicked. Bright and nasty, but in a good way. This won't be my main jam, but I can see myself playing these live and I'm sure they'll come in handy in the studio.Xaviere Stainless Steel Guitar Strings - Bought these at the same time as the Surf 90s thinking that I'll need a set of strings once I've installed the pickups. These strings fucking blow. I've never struggled so hard to keep a guitar in tune. These strings won't last through next weekend, I guarantee.Ludwig Black Magic Snare 14x6.5 - my first "real" snare. Digging it so far, even though it looks slightly nu-metal. It's got a decent amount of "pow!" to it, which is a thing for me. It wasn't getting along with the Clear Ambassador on the snare side, so I'm still using the stock reso head. Will probably try a Diplomat next time.
Motherfuckers Move Slow.

the letter o wrote:Zoom G3: Piece of cake to use. Seems sturdy enough. Good 'verbs/mods/filters/gates and the like (won't do 100% wet, though). Dist/drive/fuzzes, OK-ish. Amp models, not tried yet. USB recording, works fine. Looper works manually (tap to stop/start/dub), or for a set number of beats...this quantizing rules if you're the type who constantly fluffs the "stop" and ends up with lopsided, off-beat loops. Seems really good as an all-in-one multi-mod box (it's replacing dedicated chorus and reverb pedals for me), practice tool, and quick-n-dirty guitar recording interface.I have one of these and now I'm less embarrassed I have one these. The distortions are better in the amp models than in the individual boxes.