Re: Balls Effects / Balls Amplification

By request I'm gonna be making a pedal for FM four_oclocker_2.2 pretty soon. It's basically gonna be one of my Super Blacks plus a separate boost all in one box (multi-function Rat-ish circuit -> boost).

Knobs:
Boost
Blend
Clip Selector
Gain
Tone
Level (Distortion circuit)

Switches:
Boost on/off
Distortion on/off

I won't be ordering enclosures for a week or so but if anyone is interested please shoot me a DM or email. Price will be $195 PPPRFP (post paid PRF price).
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:42 am By request I'm gonna be making a pedal for FM four_oclocker_2.2 pretty soon. It's basically gonna be one of my Super Blacks plus a separate boost all in one box (multi-function Rat-ish circuit -> boost).

Knobs:
Boost
Blend
Clip Selector
Gain
Tone
Level (Distortion circuit)

Switches:
Boost on/off
Distortion on/off

I won't be ordering enclosures for a week or so but if anyone is interested please shoot me a DM or email. Price will be $195 PPPRFP (post paid PRF price).
Just want to say that I am VERY stoked for this. Ideally getting to a world where my "board" is just a tuner, this pedal, and the Echoplex. Seems pretty bulletproof to me!
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

bassdriver wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:08 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:30 pm
bassdriver wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:25 pm Oh and maybe a master volume right before the output might be a nice feature. Wouldn’t that allow you to drive the tubes into saturation and then reduce the output level accordingly?
Yeah, I have a master volume on my Gyraf G9 clone and being able to drive the tubes hard is where the fun is.
I guess I should try this with my Mila preamp too! Is it as simple as inserting a potentiometer right in front of the output transformer and dropping the signal to ground?
so I tried this with my Mila preamp. I used a pot to blend the +/- signal post output transformer to reduce the output level (which works fine) and tried to drive the signal to distort.
feeding the preamp a sine wave, all I got was some sort of negative wave clipping. so I plugged the preamp into my interface and tried the same thing with a mic and a harmonica with the same result.
no harmonic distortion and the wave file shows some negative wave clipping as well. makes me wonder if the 12AV7 tubes are not made to be overdriven.

bassdriver wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:53 am
Nate Dort wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:30 pm

Yeah, I have a master volume on my Gyraf G9 clone and being able to drive the tubes hard is where the fun is.
I guess I should try this with my Mila preamp too! Is it as simple as inserting a potentiometer right in front of the output transformer and dropping the signal to ground?
so I tried this with my Mila preamp. I used a pot to blend the +/- signal post output transformer to reduce the output level (which works fine) and tried to drive the signal to distort.
feeding the preamp a sine wave, all I got was some sort of negative wave clipping. so I plugged the preamp into my interface and tried the same thing with a mic and a harmonica with the same result.
no harmonic distortion and the wave file shows some negative wave clipping as well. makes me wonder if the 12AV7 tubes are not made to be overdriven.
You may not be able to get symmetrical saturation if there's not enough power supply headroom for the gain of the circuit. Sounds like you're just hitting a supply rail before the tube has a chance to produce any harmonics.

Nate Dort wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:18 am
bassdriver wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:53 am

You may not be able to get symmetrical saturation if there's not enough power supply headroom for the gain of the circuit. Sounds like you're just hitting a supply rail before the tube has a chance to produce any harmonics.
thanks Nate. I guess that circuit is designed to deliver a very clean tube sound, which it does. it's a good sounding preamp with a lot of gain. I'm not going to mess around with that.