Two drummers?

Crap
Total votes: 4 (9%)
Not crap
Total votes: 39 (91%)
Total votes: 43

Re: Rock band format: Two drummers

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:31 pm Most of the classic Motown tracks were recorded with two drummers, right?

Not Crap, for sure.
I would argue that kind of situation (and player) is not what is being discussed here.

As for in regular band setups, like, music that was built from the ground up with a fixed two drummer line up (not hired guns, but contributing members), I don't think it was used to great effect too often.

Bands who I remember took that route:

Tortoise (effective)
Fugazi (indifferent)
Early Pavement (effective)
Nomeansno (indifferent)
Ministry touring band (effective)
The Melvins (did ok)
First Pigface album (barely a band, but effective)
King Crimson (the double trio was not particularly effective IMO, the current thing is all versions, right)

The Fall at some point? Also, Pere Ubu in the mid-80's, can't remember how that went.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on

There was a garage rock band in Bellingham in the 00s called that did the two drummer thing, with them sharing a kick drum, doing each other's cymbal catches, etc. Both dudes were great drummers, and tbh I was more into watching them than the actual band.

I think the Cherry Valence did the two-drummer thing as well around that same time.

NC when done well, but rarely seems done well or honestly worth it.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

oZZma wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Bernardo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 pm
The Melvins (did ok)
I saw the Melvins live in the period when they toured with Coady Willis...
He mostly played exactly the same thing as Dale Crover, what's the point of something like that?
Well, apparently the sound of drum flams is worth all the trouble.

I forgot to mention the Butthole Surfers, do any albums document the two drummer thing?
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on