Wire vs. Gang of Four

Wire
Total votes: 24 (83%)
Go4
Total votes: 5 (17%)
Total votes: 29

Re: Wire vs. Gang of Four

GoF- visceral, electrifying high points on the first 3 records, along with Return the Gift and 100 Flowers Bloom: that's good enough to negate the dross. Their bad stuff is very, very bad though.

Wire always had a pretentious, overwrought / overthought vibe that is a big turn off for me, though I would concede that they are more interesting over more records. But even though there's nothing as bad as Mall there, nothing Wire ever did moves me (physically and emotionally) like 'Contract' or 'What We All Want' or 'We Live As We Dream Alone'...

So easily GoF for me.

As much as I love GO4 (everything up to and including the SOTF LP and ADA$ EP, plus some residual nagging enjoyment of Shrinkwrapped), the answer is Wire.

I think Wire's late-period run of the last 10-15 years is right up there with Mission Of Burma's renaissance in terms of quality/consistency vs their early material.
"What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?"

I talk disjointed music-related guff over here. You're welcome.

jason from volo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 pm I don’t know if I am fully qualified to vote as I really only know Wire’s first two albums and Gang of Four’s debut.
That's enough, sure.
M.H wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 am
Wire always had a pretentious, overwrought / overthought vibe that is a big turn off for me, though I would concede that they are more interesting over more records. But even though there's nothing as bad as Mall there, nothing Wire ever did moves me (physically and emotionally) like 'Contract' or 'What We All Want' or 'We Live As We Dream Alone'...
I get what you are saying. I guess that just never turned me off. In part because I don't think they are doing for anyone else. And I don't think they thought what they were doing was important. Wire was just one art project of a bunch of artists with various art projects. They chose music as their medium. Wire being overthought I don't think is accurate; look at the body of work they put out as Wire and side projects. These guys worked.

Go4 sounded like a post-punk band.
Last edited by enframed on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

the letter o wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:38 am As much as I love GO4 (everything up to and including the SOTF LP and ADA$ EP, plus some residual nagging enjoyment of Shrinkwrapped), the answer is Wire.

I think Wire's late-period run of the last 10-15 years is right up there with Mission Of Burma's renaissance in terms of quality/consistency vs their early material.
thats it right there. Wire.