Re: Thoughts on 70's Pearl Wood/Fiberglass Kits

I like these drums! They are unilaterally LOUD drums.

Pearl hardware isn't the sleekest/most lightweight stuff out there, but these drums are just volume, all day.

A three-piece kit can be found around $450-500 all day long, so if you think the Beta Lead is worth more than that, maybe hold out, but damn they are fun.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

A few years ago they reissued them and if ANY OTHER COMPANY had made drums that sounded and looked this good, I would have probably gotten a set. I was still thinking about it when they sort of disappeared. I often unfairly think of Pearl as the Peavey of drums.

I now sort of wish I'd gotten one of the big rock kits. I am sure there's one out there with my name on it. They come up used once in a while.

"Out of stock"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iano-black
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:23 pm A few years ago they reissued them and if ANY OTHER COMPANY had made drums that sounded and looked this good, I would have probably gotten a set.
OK, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person like this. What's the deal? Is it just that we've seen/played so many bad Export kits over the years? Is it the damn font?
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:47 pm
dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:23 pm A few years ago they reissued them and if ANY OTHER COMPANY had made drums that sounded and looked this good, I would have probably gotten a set.
OK, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person like this. What's the deal? Is it just that we've seen/played so many bad Export kits over the years? Is it the damn font?
Yes.

ADDED: Here's one of the tobacco burst kits for $899 from a reputable seller. $200 shipping. Nothing crazy, big rock sizes. If it was black, I'd probably get it right now.

https://reverb.com/item/63924119-used-p ... coca-burst
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 pm
four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:47 pm
Yes.

ADDED: Here's one of the tobacco burst kits for $899 from a reputable seller. $200 shipping. Nothing crazy, big rock sizes. If it was black, I'd probably get it right now.

https://reverb.com/item/63924119-used-p ... coca-burst

JFC I don’t even drum and I want that kit.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

penningtron wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:04 am DC Portsmouth was selling Pearl Crystal Beat (acrylic) drums for pennies for a few years there, in all sizes up to 24" kicks. Not that 2020 was the best year to be buying big drums, but I kinda regret not getting some then. I'm vain and would have replaced the logo head with a blank, but could have had a solid-as-fuck kit for about a 1/3 of what the 'cool' brands cost.
If you're ever in the area, that shop is amazing. (I may have mentioned this before)
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:25 am If you're ever in the area, that shop is amazing. (I may have mentioned this before)
It's probably unlikely, though they've been a great, well stocked alternative to Amazon/Sweetwater/Guitar Center for the last few years. Vics in Chicago was similar in a 'massive place filled with stuff I can't afford' way too, before they went online only (should probably order from them more often).
Music