What Should be Cloned/Reissued Next?

Based on a list of great ideas from FM Kniferide feels like it deserves its own thread...
Kniferide wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:56 pm Gimme a Warm Audio space echo or like, a WA BX20 Spring reverb, or a Level Lock
...what should be on the short list of things to clone from companies no longer in business or reissued by those that still are? There's a lot of great weirdo stuff no longer in production that the audio world is clamoring for (*cough cough* M380 *cough*). Cool old mics? Neat old synths? Guitar amps? Guitars? It's hard to imagine there are any pedals left in this category considering the stomp box explosion over the past decade-and-a-half but...

Anyway, we have a lot of FMs that work in the music industry & this site is crawled by bots & comes up in searches quite a bit. IDK, could actually get some traction for stuff you've been lusting after that is fetching mad coin. Obviously these companies are in business to make money, to me it seems like it would be hard to ignore going to Reverb and seeing the asking price for an M380 is over a grand now.

[Kerbling myself, I know I started a thread just directly on the M380 but this is different in that would cover all the stuff we've been lusting after and cannot afford.]

Re: What Should be Cloned/Reissued Next?

GuyLaCroix wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:41 am I'd like a single channel version of my aging Concert Lead in a compact package.
It looks like this is being included in the relaunch of Sunn at least in combo format. 2x12 version too. If it were me running that show, I'd make it an ultra-light version w/ class d amp and neo speakers.

That being said, they're listing it at $1800 (and a eye-popping $2200 for the 2x12) which is outrageous and laughable considering there are excellent-sounding alternatives at a fraction of that price point. Even the originals are selling much less than that.

Garth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am
GuyLaCroix wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:41 am I'd like a single channel version of my aging Concert Lead in a compact package.
It looks like this is being included in the relaunch of Sunn at least in combo format. 2x12 version too. If it were me running that show, I'd make it an ultra-light version w/ class d amp and neo speakers.

That being said, they're listing it at $1800 (and a eye-popping $2200 for the 2x12) which is outrageous and laughable considering there are excellent-sounding alternatives at a fraction of that price point. Even the originals are selling much less than that.
They already are class D in the reissues. They probably make them large-ish to preserve the aesthetic but there's no reason they need to be. That said one could always make the pre-amp (easy) and plug it into an over the counter class d power amp and stick it all in one box pretty easily, i'd bet.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

I have no substantial personal experience with any of these, but they've been on my personal wishlist for a while. Probably fall neatly into the 'sales forecast: one guy' category.

The Lovetone Meatball and Ring Stinger, though... In my late teens I was saving up for a Meatball at the time they closed up shop. The 'built by a radio ham from military surplus' aesthetic always did it for me and I have a longterm passion for using guitar as an input into unmanageable systems. You can do each a thousand ways with Eurorack, but the knobs aren't as big, so I'm sure it's not as fun.

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:50 am
Garth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am

They already are class D in the reissues. They probably make them large-ish to preserve the aesthetic but there's no reason they need to be. That said one could always make the pre-amp (easy) and plug it into an over the counter class d power amp and stick it all in one box pretty easily, i'd bet.
I'd be interested in a quote on that.
https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/closed-casket