Chicago Neighborhoods - Advice?

Brown Line is definitely a good starting point. My previous post was culled from distant memory, but last week's visit to Chicago only confirmed my earlier remarks: Thirteen years later, the area is still a peaceful pocket of town that is unusually well-served by rapid transit. The "rapid" part is relative, of course: The Brown Line sort of meanders its way to the Loop, and it stops running at about 12:45 AM.

Still, the amenities are legion: Quiet, tree-lined streets; unrestricted parking galore; great ethnic dining in every direction [Korean, German, Indian, Thai]; and lots of green space within walking distance.

If I were looking to buy a property, I'd start at the Rockwell stop and work my way west.

I would agree with the brown line.

Also, check out places along Fulton market. Its very industrial, and outside of the prostitutes, is quite peacefull.

Don't move to Rogers Park unless it's west of Ridge.

Pilsen is a good option.

So is Forest Park/Oak park.

There are some decent lofts north of the loop heading towards Hyde Park.

If you want working class but "white", the area around O'hare is affordable, but removed from culture.

You might want to look at Waukegan. You can get a hell of a crib, but its 30 miles from chi-town.

I would agree with the earlier post that said to rent for a year first and then figure where you want to live.

Kennilworth, Winnetka, Wilmette - thats your best bet!!!!!!! :wink:
www.soutrane.com

Oh, Christ....I don't want to be anywhere near O'Hare. I live close enought to a freakin' airport right now!

Like I said in my first post, no suburbs. I don't need to be around all white folks, but I don't want to live next to the Robert Taylor Homes either. Just looking for some fair and resonable advice for a safe and reasonable community.

Was in Chicago last week. Didn't have much time. Drove around the north and near northwest sides to see what we might like.

Wife fell in love with Bucktown & Wicker Park. No surprise there. Many lofts that look to be what we would want.

East side of Logan Square was attractive too. Looks like a good place to invest in new construction.

Wrigleyville and Lakeview were both very nice. Price vs. loft/size may be an issue.

Andersonville was also a nice area. Going that far north we may just as well include Evanston in our search criteria, though.

Avondale and near west are also on our list to consider.

I'd really like to be close to an EL-line, as I would be working right downtown. Our plans would include getting rid of one car.

Though Bucktown/Wicker is cute and trendy and nightlifey and all, it doesn't seem to have the basic neighborhood needs like a good grocer, pharmacy, etc.. - just more goddamn coffee shops, bars, kitchy boutiques, and hairdressers than any neighborhood could possibly need.

The Whole Foods in Lakeview and Evanston were pretty nice compared to here. (Yeah, I know - corporation and all. Fuck that coop shit, just buy 200 shares Whole Foods - same thing. Plus I like being able to buy fancy cheese, fancy olives, and big hunks of red meat without getting the evil eye from some hippy chick. Plus, it's all about eating better, not applying some half-assesd Marxist rhetoric to my digestive tract.)

I'm not even totally sure about this job thing yet. When I find out I'm definately going to give Bob's wife a call though. Thank's Bob!

Thanks all, for the input. I certainly appreciate it.

Cheers all,
Geiginni

geiginni wrote:
I'm not even totally sure about this job thing yet. When I find out I'm definately going to give Bob's wife a call though. Thank's Bob!

Thanks all, for the input. I certainly appreciate it.

Cheers all,
Geiginni

Carrie is great. She will hook you up, I am sure.

As much as I do not want 'the element' moving into my neighborhood (yeah, I mean all of you as 'the element' with your electrical guitars and all your rock and/or roll.. ...), I will now tout the good things about the NW side in a place called Mayfair (just north of Old Irving Park). We are right off of the Montrose exit of 90/94 which is a straight shot down town or toward the suburbs or to O'Hare. We are 4400 west and also 4400 north. Also the Blue line 'EL' train is 5 blocks from our home and it takes us straight down town or right to O'Hare. It is very very convenient. The Metra train also stops in Mayfair and it goes down town and all the way out to the burbs and is also very convenient. We are also very close to the northern burbs for things like nice movie theatres, etc. We are right off of Elston which is one of our diagonal keys the the city. Anyway, we have been here for 7 years and love it and may only be leaving it due to schools (not the greatest neighborhood schools). Plus, there is Suzy's 24 hour freshly cut fries that MUST be made with equal parts salt/sugar/crack.

Carrie knows the area as well.

Good luck!

humboldt park sucks, though it is really exciting. i just moved from there last july after three years of living on a block that had a nightly cannonade of gunshots and assholes running around in black hoodies waiting for rival gangs to drive by. in one particular month, four people were killed on my block alone. but, if you're into that...
i just moved to albany park (4700 north, 3700 west) in february. it's being referred to as an "up and coming" neighborhood. i'm having fun exploring all the different ethnic restaurants. property values went up 16 percent last year. looks like a lot of the apartment buildings will soon be converted into condos. ours is a two bedroom open plan and cost under 200k. i feel safe there, but we haven't had any really warm days to see what happens then. as of right now, i would encourage looking there.

good luck!

chad wrote:humboldt park sucks, though it is really exciting.

I'm not even sure "exciting" is the right word. Perhaps "stimulating" in the same way being caught in a DMZ is stimulating.

Hell, just moving to Chicago and being able to sell one car and take public transit will be exciting enough.

I lived for a year on Franklin Ave. in Minneapolis. I only heard gunshots once, but my car was broken into twice and I was burgularized once. It was a nice building near the Art Institute, but bodering on a pretty shitty area otherwise. It's probably much nicer, much more gay, and much more expensive now.

I don't need that kind of excitement anymore. Humboldt Park will be on the "do not consider" list.

Thanks,

Though Bucktown/Wicker is cute and trendy and nightlifey and all, it doesn't seem to have the basic neighborhood needs like a good grocer...The Whole Foods in Lakeview and Evanston were pretty nice compared to here

There is a Whole Foods on North Avenue, just east of Wicker Park. Very easy to get to by car, bike, or the North Avenue bus.

Humboldt Park isn't as bad as implied on this thread, although yes some sections can be sketchy. But hopefully anybody - even the lowliest renter with no interest in buying - would do a little due diligence as to whether their block and neighborhood were like, crime-wise. I believe the Chicago Police Department even has a web site available where you can see the reported crimes for your zip-code. Might be handy if you're concerned about that sorta thing.[/list]