Favorite Recording: Electrical-Albini

Surprised to see no mentions of Make it Pop by Giddy Motors. I am a late comer, but this album made an Albini fan of me. It has just about the crispest snare sound that can be played at 200 hits per minute without getting obnoxious. And "Magmanic" has the most electrically charged and clangy sounding bass I have ever heard. This is the album I'd play for someone if I wanted to convince them that Albini was a great engineer: the majority of the album perfectly renders the rhythmic, skronky style with which I associate him, while "Cranium Crux" and "Venus Medallist" show that he's not a one-trick pony.

I can't decide whether Tweez is great or terrible. When seeing a band who duplicates their recordings almost identically onstage, it's fun to discover new things about the songs, but that doesn't reflect too well on the recording. Accordingly, I only knew the awesome density and suspense of "Charlotte" and badass soloing in "Pat" post-March. On the other hand, I would never change the power of the harmonics+tom pounding in "Rhoda." In terms of recording, it's probably my favorite song that he's done.