- ripe avacados
- diced tomatoes
- diced onions
- salt
- garlic powder
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
and the secret ingredient:
- brine from a can/jar of jalapeños.

I know, using brine (that's the liquid the jalapeños are soaking in, in case you didn't know) as an ingredient sounds funky, but a few splashes of it makes all the difference in the world.

I don't know the measurements, I wing it each time I make it. Just add the stuff and keep sampling it until it tastes great and looks right. This is super easy to make, and if you nail it you're a hero.

Recipe Submissions

Moussaka (Greek food):

Ingredients:
- 6 aubergines
- 300 g of minced beef meat
- 125 g of gruyère cheese
- 1 egg
- 5 cl of oil
- cinnamon
- salt and pepper.

Peel the aubergines and cut them.
Put the aubergines slices in a casserole of boiling water with a tablespoon of oil during 2 minutes. Drain the slices of aubergine and cook them in a stove with the rest of oil until they are gilded.
Then, place the slice in a dish.
Season the minced meat with salt, pepper and cinnamon (depending on your taste).
Cover the aubergines in the dish with the meat.
Beat the egg and pour it above the meat.
Put the gruyere on the top of the preparation.

Slip it in the oven (thermostat 5, should be less than 180°C I think) for 45 min.

Sylvain
---------
Stella Peel

Recipe Submissions

Adam CR wrote:
Sly Bug wrote:Here is the recipe of the Pissaladière, typical food from Nice:

That sounds superb!

Does it really need 30 minutes at 250C? That seems like a long time in a very hot oven...

You are right. 30 minutes at only 180°C should be enough but check if the bread dough is well cooked. 250°C is the recommended oven temperature in the recipe I use but I have to take the pissaladière out of the oven before 30 min everytime.
Last edited by Sly Bug_Archive on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvain
---------
Stella Peel

Recipe Submissions

Sly Bug wrote:
Adam CR wrote:
Sly Bug wrote:Here is the recipe of the Pissaladière, typical food from Nice:

That sounds superb!

Does it really need 30 minutes at 250C? That seems like a long time in a very hot oven...

You are right. 30 minutes at only 180°C should be enough but check if the bread dough is well cooked.

Aha! Coolio, I may well try this out. I loves me some onions!

Recipe Submissions

vegan mushroom 'gravy' i've been told i do well:

-pack (or equivalent) of white or portabello mushrooms sliced (not too thinly, they need a good 1/2 inch thick or they'll cook too fast)
-can of vegetable broth (or vegetable bullion dissolved in 1.5 cups water)
-small/medium white onion diced as small as you can get it
-1 clove garlic, minced
-2 tbsp flour
-2 tsp salt
-2 tsp pepper (freshly ground preferred)
-1/2 tsp thyme
-olive oil
-wine (optional)

sautee onions at med. heat in about 2 tsp oil. when the oil dries up, use a few splashes of wine and continue to sautee until onions are translucent. then add the minced garlic and mushrooms and cook for 1-2 more minutes. add your broth, flour, and seasonings and simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes.. stirring occasionally.

it should be fairly thick, but if you want it thicker add a tablespoon of cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) and reheat. enjoy over noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice.

Recipe Submissions

This is a really simple vegan one that my boyfriend goes crazy for. It's probably also very healthy. Seems like. It's called Sesame Spinach & Tofu:

Need:
Big Bag of washed spinach (can also use kale or bok choy)
Light extra firm tofu (1 package, the kind in water), cubed
Sesame oil
Sesame seeds
Vegetable oil
Clove of garlic, chopped

First get out a medium to big skillet and dry toast about 1/4 cup of seeds for maybe 30 seconds over medium-high. Then set them aside on a plate. Pour enough vegetable oil into the skillet to coat it and let it heat for a second. Add chopped garlic and stirfry for 30 seconds. Put the tofu in and stir fry it until it's golden brown on the outside. Set the tofu aside. Turn down to medium. Start slowly putting spinach in, a handful at a time, and stirfry. Add sesame oil, maybe a couple teaspoons.
When the spinach is all wilted, put the tofu back and mix it in. Add sesame seeds.
Serve over rice of choice.

Recipe Submissions

Fall vegetables, God bless y'all.

Both of these can be vegan.

Butternut Squash Risotto w/ Sage
1 large butternut squash
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
about 15 sage leaves, chopped
flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large knobs* of butter
1 large onion, chopped
14oz arborio or other Italian risotto rice
2 glasses white wine (plus more for drinkin')
1 quart hot chicken or vegetable stock
good handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve

1. Preheat the oven to 400.

2. Cut the butternut squash into 6-8 wedges, remove the seeds and place in a roasting tray. Chop the garlic and add a generous glug of olive oil, half the sage leaves, sea salt and pepper. Rub over the butternut squash with your hands. Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes until softened and becoming golden in colour. Use remaining delicious oil for dipping bread in to eat while roasting. Test white wines to "ensure dryness", as well.

3. Once the squash has cooked, cool slightly, then scrape the soft flesh away from the skin into a bowl. Lightly mash with a fork or potato masher until it is fairly chunky in texture.**

4. Heat the olive oil and a good knob of butter in a deep, heavy-based frying pan or saute pan. Gently fry the onion until softened. Add the rice and stir for about a minute until the grains are coated with the oil and butter. Pour in the wine and stir continuously until it has cooked into the rice. Add a good ladle of hot stock and the remaining sage and season well with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down so the stock is simmering gently. Keep adding ladles of stock as it cooks into the rice, stirring and moving the rice around in the pan. After about 15-20 minutes the rice should be soft but still have a bit of bite left in it. The texture of the risotto should be thick and creamy, but not too loose. Add extra stock if necessary.

5. Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir the roasted butternut squash into the risotto with the parmesan, the remaining butter and seasoning to taste. Add any extra stock if the risotto seems particularly thick. Cover with a lid for a couple of minutes as this will give the risotto an even creamier texture.

*a "knob" is a tablespoon is you believe Thorr, two fanny-fulls if you believe Cranius.

**Note: I had too much squash, and some of it stayed stringy as I chose to just fork mash it. Next time, I will only use about 4-5 cups of squash and will puree it before folding into the risotto.

Caramelized Roasted Parsnips
8 T unsalted butter(1 stick), melted
2 T. granulated sugar
2 tsp. brown sugar
3 pounds parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/4-by-3-inch julienne
1 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T. snipped chives

1. Heat oven to 350°. Put melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a bowl and whisk until blended. Add parsnips; toss. Put all into a large roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes.

2. Remove foil; stir. Roast parsnips, uncovered, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Stir; adjust seasoning. Sprinkle with chives, and serve.
H-GM wrote:Still don't make you mexican, Dances With Burros.

Recipe Submissions

steve wrote:Good hash browns:

Par-boil two big starchy un-peeled potatoes (or four smaller golden ones) for three minutes and let them cool to room temperature out of the water. Once cool, peel them and coarse-grate them into a bowl. Chop a small onion or big shallot or two scallions or bunch of chives quite fine and mix with the grated potatoes. Liberally season with salt, black or white pepper and a little grated nutmeg if you have it.

Optional additions to this are grated apple, shredded cabbage, fresh mint or other herbs.

Heat a heavy skillet to frying temperature (high heat, not smoking hot) and pour a dab of olive oil or a knob of butter in the middle of the skillet, and roll it around to cover the bottom of the skillet. Return the skillet to the fire, and press a heap of the potato mixture into a coarse patty in the middle of the skillet. Let it brown well on one side, then flip it for a short spell on the other.

If you want to, you can grate some cheese on the top at the end.

Thanxamillion for this one. You have no idea how often I've tried only to end up with a soggy, smouldering mess. It's the parboiling, I imagine...