What was your first " Collectable" record purchase?

"Collectable" meaning out of print or rare, you wanted it and didn't mind paying extra.
Mine was a Mono copy of Ken Nordine's "Son Of Word Jazz". A Milwaukee DJ Mr. Green (Green Space Headquarters, WQFM) played Ken Nordine one night in the mid '70's and I had to find it. Then, used record stores were few and far between.
I finally found it in 1979 at a used book store. $15.00, ouch.

Let's have some stories, people.

Jay

Zappa's "Freak Out". Musta been 1981 or so. That or the first Jerry Garcia solo record. I don't count all the mono versions of the early Stones stuff I bought around then, 'cause it was available new in stereo. I remember the early Zappa ("Uncle Meat", "Cruisin' with Reuben and the Jets", "Absolutely Free", etc.) and the first Dead solo material ("Ace", "Rolling Thunder", "Seastones") as being really hard to find and up to $40/copy. That was tall change for a 16 year old kid at the start of the Reagan Revolution...

It was either a NM British EMI first pressing of "Piper At the Gates of Dawn", or an early pressing of "Revolver" on the Dutch EMI/Parlophone label. Both are stereo (unfortunately), but I must've only paid about $15-20 at the time, which I thought was fantastic. This was probably around 1990.

The first record I bought that got me into collecting older stuff was either a copy of Marty Gold's "Skin Tight" on the RCA Victor label, which has a great cheeseball cover with a voluptuous nude hiding partially behind a conga and bongos, or a very clean first pressing of Perez Prado's "Big Hits", which is a killer album and got me into the whole 50's Mambo/Cha-cha genre. That was maybe 7 years ago.

Lately I've been chasing after album covers done by Jim Flora. If anyone ever sees a copy of "Mambo for Cats" on the RCA label that is really clean, I will pay handsomely....

Cheers!

probably the only record i've ever bought that would qualify as being OOP and at all rare would be the Polvo 'Tilebreaker' 7". that or the melvins 7" called 'Cowboy' which i listened to twice and gave away in disgust. i wonder if i would like it better now. the whole not-really-having-any-music-on-it thing though, that kinda pissed me off a little. that's what happens sometimes when you take a chance though, right?
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.

Redline wrote:A Milwaukee DJ Mr. Green (Green Space Headquarters, WQFM) played Ken Nordine one night in the mid '70's and I had to find it.

I don't collect records, but I used to share season tickets at Wrigley Field with Ken Nordine's son.

He made a couple of foolish, booze-soaked ticket trades with me. I don't take advantage of anyone, even silly drunks, but he insisted on these deals. He eventually grew suspicious of me because my straightforward approach confused him, and he quit trading tickets with me.

The whole thing always seemed a great distance away from word jazz or whatever it is his dad does.

OK! Back to your records!

Slint's Spiderland Outtakes 7-inch, $50 on eBay.

The version of Glenn on it is interesting and quite slow, but the version of Rhoda sounds identical to that found on their untitled EP. Unfortunately the 7-inch was made from some shitty cassette tape copy of the masters, so both songs have crappy fidelity. I played it only once to record it onto my computer.

Would I do it again? Fuck yeah. It's Slint! Plus it has this little handwritten number on it which makes me feel special.