Recording piano?

I may have to record a piano next week, the model will be a Yamaha C4, in a large room. The style was described to me as being jazz-like, but it's not clear yet if it will be mellow stuff or more uptempo / agressive.

I never drecorded a piano this before, so what I'll probably do is set up a lot of mics and try out various combinations, to end up with 4 mics at the most, already including ambience. It's a large studio, so they have a nice collection of mics (at least for brazilian standards), including Km 84s, C451s, B&K 4006 and 4007, Ela-M and U47, plus U87s, C414s, the works. There was also a pzm mic, I forget the model. Not sure they have any ribbon mics, though.

Any kind of setup suggestions are appreciated, including tips on getting good wide stereo (if needed). Thanks!

Recording piano?

How do you want it to sound ? Sometimes a super accurate left to right spread is too much information in the mix. I recorded my friend a few weeks back doing a piano overdub. I used a Apex ribbon with the gain cranked. The mic was positioned at the treble end of the piano but with the front of it pointing down toward the bass end. I thought it wouldn'tt hear the bass side too well but , the results were totally acceptable. Using a condenser might give you too much top end which is only so useful for jazz piano I would say. Again,maybe we can offer more suggestions if we know what kind of sound you are going for . Good Luck.

Recording piano?

We have a Yamaha C4 at the studio where I work. I don't particularly like 414's on it, it's fairly bright piano and the 414's make it sound more like a digital/sampled piano. I'm a huge fan of the AEA R88 stereo ribbon fairly close to the harp over the middle of the piano's curve. If you don't have a ribbon, I'd try the u47 similiarly positioned, the KM84's as room mics, and if you need it a pair of u87's over the hammers for more attack.
Last edited by spaghettilee_Archive on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recording piano?

Bernardo wrote:I may have to record a piano next week, the model will be a Yamaha C4, in a large room. The style was described to me as being jazz-like, but it's not clear yet if it will be mellow stuff or more uptempo / agressive.

I never drecorded a piano this before, so what I'll probably do is set up a lot of mics and try out various combinations, to end up with 4 mics at the most, already including ambience. It's a large studio, so they have a nice collection of mics (at least for brazilian standards), including Km 84s, C451s, B&K 4006 and 4007, Ela-M and U47, plus U87s, C414s, the works. There was also a pzm mic, I forget the model. Not sure they have any ribbon mics, though.

Any kind of setup suggestions are appreciated, including tips on getting good wide stereo (if needed). Thanks!

Is it a solo performance or in addition to a full band recording?
Greg Norman FG

Recording piano?

It'd be part of an ensemble recording, but I think the piano would be the second most important element, next to voice. The section was cancelled, unfortunately, but I'm glad I asked, as I don't think I had ever given any thought on the subject. Thanks, folks, if anyone has more to say in this topic I'm still interested.