Gallien Krueger 700rb-II vs 800rb

So I'm thinking of buying a bass amp, does anyone have experiences of these amps and how they compare? I play bass in a post rock type band at the moment. I really like the bass sound from American Don and I've seen eric emm playing an 800rb live on youtube. There appears to be one on top of an ampeg V4b in photos from that session but I don't know if it was actually used.

800RB's are still available from new but cost £564 in the UK. I think they are pretty rare over here, I have never seen any going 2nd hand.

On the other hand I have seen a 700rb-II for £349 new.

Thought about getting an ampeg VR or whatever but I can't really justify spending such a large amount of money on an amp.

Fauxjazz wrote:I really like the bass sound from American Don.

Not sure what he used to record the record, but my band did a bunch of shows with them around that time and Eric was playing an older Ampeg tube head live.

I am not familiar with the 700rb-II, but my bandmate has used the 800RB for many many years and it's a solid workhorse. The sound quality is really a matter of taste.

One other thing about Eric's sound. I remember that he changed his strings before each show for what thats worth.

i have a GK 800RB. i have had it for 7 years. between recording, rehearsal, and playing shows, it has been used about 325 days of every year by dozens, if not hundreds of people (for the previous 5 years before i bought it sa well). i have had to replace the effect send/return jacks, they get dirty and short closed, amp will see input, but not have any output (a 1/4" jumper cable is a good quick fix, essentially a hardwire loop), and the boost function pcb burnt up. so, a hardwire bypass for that section as well, internally on what was left of the pcb. this amp can wear many hats, is only 23 pounds, and has largely useful features through out. i do not plan on ever selling mine. if you buy one, chances are someone will buy it for pretty close to what you paid for it.

the 700 is technically loud by the spec's but no one ever had volume issues with the 800rb which is still in production thanks to it's lovely preamp section.

even the worst gk can be helped by the right pedal.

get the 700.

scott smashed assholes, snatch that deal. you can get a turnaround on either piece for roughly what you're getting both for. if you decide you don't like them.
buy my guitar. now with pictures!

sack of smashed assholes wrote:i have a couple things going on, and eventually down the road I'll play out, probably this year for sure. I really want to get a bass rig, and saw this a week ago. I really can't afford it right now, and I'm guessing not much would come along again $400 for a head, and cab seems more than reasonable. how much do they normally go for used?

I think I saw someone on Harmony Central saying they bought just the head for $400 used. You are right, deals of this nature are rare. The Peavey ain't half bad either.

p.s. I was only making the serious/semi serious comment based on the craigslist ad.