Ambient Music

I think William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops is one of the better ambient albums I have enjoyed, and although I don't think I could go through all four in a row, I certainly do enjoy going through one at a time.

You don't have to be afraid of it just because people like it.

Ambient Music

jurgis rudkus wrote:
Dean Roberts is on Kranky, but not all of his stuff impresses me, either. His best album is "And the Black Moths Play the Grand Cinemas" which, like the Mathieu, was on Ritornell which went out of business. But this one was reissued by Staubgold, so Forced Exposure should have it. (Great, odd cover of Eno's 'Cindy Tells Me' on this record, too!)

Also, before Roberts went solo, his NZ band, Thela, made a fantastic second album, "Argentina," which was on Ecstatic Peace. Probably available new, or in a cut-out bin?

The new Autistic Daughters (Dean Roberts + 2 other chaps) record is quite fine indeed - fans of Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock era Talk Talk should definitely check it out...
Disappointing the masses since 2006 http://www.low-point.com

Ambient Music

Re: 'Insen' -- it is pretty cool. Thanks for reminding me about it, I listened to it on my way to work today and it was great.

I like The Remote Viewer: Here I Go Again On My Own. Glitchy melancholia.

Gas is great! I almost want to buy that set all over again... the new package is so nice. There is a book of related artwork and unreleased material coming out, too:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=112965

...if you have $60, which I don't... but I wish I did!

Vladislav Delay's Entain is really cool, too.

Thanks for the reminder of the Aguirre soundtrack, might give that a spin tomorrow.

That solo Geir Jenssen is really cool. So crazy listening to it while reading his accounts of the mountain climbing. I can't wait for a new Biosphere to come out, whenever that will be.

I downloaded the third Marsen Jules record 'Golden' and it's got some really beautiful moments.

The new Lustmord... I'm not sure if I'm going to get it or not. I've got a bunch of discs by him already and they are cool, but I don't really know how much further he can go for me. Good review about the new record at Brainwashed.

Basinski's stuff is always interesting, but I kind of got over him... bought too much stuff of his. He's got so much material archived, now that there's a buzz (or was a buzz) about him, he released a ton of stuff (maybe too much stuff?) it seems.

Nice to see Roach's Structures from Silence mentioned, Roach can get a little too 'flutes & rain sticks' for me, but he does come up with cool space music from time to time.

Thanks for all the great recommendations, can't wait to surf around this weekend and check out clips!

Ambient Music

Lemuel Gulliver wrote:I haven't seen Brian McBride mentioned. Maybe I missed him. He's 50% of Stars of the Lid. I think his stuff is a bit smoother than the other 50%, The Dead Texan.

It is. Reminds me of Harold Budd, whose solo album "The White Arcades" which was produced by Eno is fucking amazing.

Also on a similar tip is Peter Benisch's "Soundtrack Saga", which is on the techno label Turbo. Benisch usually does throwback detroit-style techno as well as the harder minimal stuff from Northern Europe, but this album is him making imaginary landscapes and soundtracks for imaginary movies. Fucking Lush.

Peter Benisch - Soundtrack Saga page
Dr. McNinja wrote:I just surfed a robo dracula from the Moon, so all y'alls can just take it.

Ambient Music

AdamPee wrote:I think William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops is one of the better ambient albums I have enjoyed, and although I don't think I could go through all four in a row, I certainly do enjoy going through one at a time.

As part of an experiment one night, I put these on shuffle in one of the darkrooms.

All of the students remarked on how calming it was.
I make music/I also make pretty pictures