recording 8 tracks simultaneously

okay so i've got my hands on this tascam 38 8-track, and it came with a tascam m-208 mixer, which has 8 ins, 4 outs (4 busses).

i want to put 3 mics on the drums (stereo overheads, snare...or maybe 4 mics if i decide to do bass drum as well), and then 2 mics on guitar and one on the bass amp, all at the same time.

the mixer obviously only allows 4 tracks to go to the 8-track at once.

is there any way to do this? surely there must be some workaround other than buying a mixer with 8 outputs? though that might be the easiest solution...

celluloid hero wrote:i want to put 3 mics on the drums (stereo overheads, snare...or maybe 4 mics if i decide to do bass drum as well), and then 2 mics on guitar and one on the bass amp, all at the same time.

When you say '2 mics on guitar' do you mean 2 guitar amps with a mic on each or just 2 mics on one guitar amp mixed to sound nice?

If you mean the second thing then you've got enough outs: 1 for guitar (with both mics mixed and sent to the same bus/out), 1 for bass and 2 for stereo drums.

If you mean the other thing then I see what you mean and I have no ideas to help you, other than the obvious overdubs etc.

i assume no channel direct outs? how about aux sends? what are the green/blue rows? is it 4 band EQ or 2? maybe the 2 orange rows are aux sends... i wouldn't be suprised if it has at least 2 aux sends, that will give you 6 independent sends. (buss 1-4, aux 1-2) to record 6 tracks simultaneously.

if only doing 3 mics on drums i'd do K,S, OH. and if you must do stereo OH i'd leave snare to get picked in the OH and mic the K - but listen and do whatever sounds best to you of course.
post honeymoon | bang! bang! | new black

the eq is 4-band, nick.

the green row is FLB/foldback, and the blue row is for effects.

i'll check if it has aux when i can, i didn't think of that and 6 tracks at a time is just what i need. sorry i made the thread title slightly misleading.

chuckles, i mean to do the first option, 2 mics on the same cab. i was gonna pan one left and one right but it's looking like it might not be an option. you said 1 for guitar, 1 for bass and 2 for drums but i really want 3 for drums. maybe i can mix the snare in with one of the overheads, if i get really desperate...

anyway, you guys are really helpful, it's great. i'll bump this thread back up when i have a chance to look at the mixer again. thanks so much for all the responses so far.

You've got inserts, you can half-plug in 1/4 and run them to your 8 track. you won't get anything else out of the channel strip than you preamp if you do this. So maybe buss 4 tracks to the subs to the recorder and take the other 4 from the inserts.

If you have a foldback send you could use that out for one more channel in addition to the 4 busses, making 5. The out of your effect send is 6. If you have 1 or 2 aux's that'll be 7 or 8.

If there are no aux's, and if you can unassign tracks to the L-R; take out the channels you send to the subgroups, then take two channels, pan them hard L and R and you can take the out of your L/R mix bus.

Lots of options.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."