Expresso machine recommendations?

stewie wrote:Someone please tell me how to convince my wife that a dedicated espresso machine is a great house purchase.

She doesn't drink coffee, let alone espresso. I'm an espresso novice but really love it. I find myself just gasping for some crema in the lonely hours. OK, maybe that didn't sound quite right...

Sorry Stewie, in your case it doesn't sound like a great household purchase.

Sounds more like a you want an Expresso machine purchase so you should ask for one for his birthday\christmas\fathers day. Either that or just show up one day with a brand new 600 Francis! Francis! and say,

"So.... we're not going to have a conversation about this, are we dear."

and leave it at that.

Mazec wrote:Honestly, what's wrong with one of these:

?

I've been using them for years with all different kinds of coffee, and I find the results superior to the espresso served by about 90% of the cafés I've been to.

Plus, it'll only set you back about thirty bucks.

I love these. After a few years though, it starts to taste a little metally. William Sonoma has a glass one that would probably be better, but come in around $90.

When I'm particularly bored and lethargic, I'll double brew a cup with one of these. Make a pot, take the product and run it through again with a fresh grind. Good times.

I've also tried using milk instead of water. It was good, but it kind of fucked up the pot. Putting a little milk\cream on top is excellent though.

wow, ok i drink espresso like twice a day , one shot with a little splash of steamed milk. not a macciatto and not a latte. its equal parts espresso(like 4oz.)and steamed milk, it has no name in technical terms ...anywhoo about ten years ago i started drinkin it and never looked back, now coffee tastes liek chicken piss to me.

i have had the Krups experience a couple of times, those things make a good brew but they fucking suck , crappy plastic knobs break, seals blow etc.

so then i bought the next model up krups, with a cup warmer, a steam arm, a cappuccino setting, terrible, lasted a week before i threw it at the wall in disgust. then out of shear necessity i bought a mr.coffee $30 dollar piece of crap espresso maker, with a steam arm, and i still use it to this day.so i guess what i am saying is fuck all the capsules, and fancy shit ,use a pot , or get the shittiest one you can buy. the machine will not last no matter how much you drop on one, that is unless you get real serious and buy a five to ten thousand dollar one and maintain it well , like insanely well.its the nature of the coffee to destroy things.
Some witty and esoteric latin quote like everyone else has.

Ty Webb wrote:I'm still getting the hang of mine. Do you take yours off the heat as soon as it starts to percolate and let the remaining pressure do the work? Or do you keep it on the heat longer?

I've spent quite a bit of time honing my moka pot skills. Here is my technique to get the most espresso-like concoction:

Fill bottom less than half full of water (just enough for 2 shots).

Freshly grind your coffee somewhere between a brew grind (#4-5 on my machine) and an espresso grind (#8 on mine).

Fill the container and tap on the side to help it settle, but don't tamp it down. Fill it completely full, level it off and make sure you clean off the edge so it seals well.

Heat your water on high and pull it off the heat when you've got about 1 shot out. Let the other shot come out on it's own.

Delicious....I like this better than all but the best 'real' espresso I can find.
The Chrome Robes-Busted Canoe