Russian tanks invade breakaway region

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Go and fuck yourself. According to this logic entire region, with my country (Poland) included is a 'separatist movement'.

I'm not passing judgment on the merit of separatist movements but rather accusing Russia of hypocrisy on the issue. Clearly their interests in this case are not based upon principals of self-determination even though they might claim as much.
That's not entirely true.

Russian forces are massing north of Tiblisi. It looks like they are going to force the removal of Saakashvili and dictate their own terms. They want 'regime change'.

Saakashvili really blundered into their trap. He must've thought that he'd get NATO and EU support; Georgian troops have just recently returned from Iraq, serving with the coalition and the US has been trying to build them up militarily.

But there isn't a chance of EU or western intervention.

It looks like everyone is to blame, Russia, Georgia, the US and Europe. And Russia will make everyone acquiesce to its will.

Russia 'ends Georgia operation'
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev
Mr Medvedev made his announcement before meeting the French president

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an end to military operations against Georgia, the Kremlin says.

He told officials he had taken the decision to end the operation after restoring security for civilians and peacekeepers in South Ossetia.

However, Russia has been highly critical of Georgia's leadership, and there were no signs of imminent talks.

Before the announcement, there were fresh reports of Russian warplanes bombing the Georgian town of Gori.

Witnesses told the BBC that several people were killed when a bomb hit a hospital in the town, which is 10 miles (15km) from the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali.

A reporter for Reuters news agency said several bombs exploded in front of his vehicle, while a photographer for the agency spoke of seeing dead and injured people lying in the streets.

And in Georgia's other breakaway region, Abkhazia, separatist rebels continued an offensive against Georgian troops in the Kodori Gorge region - the only area of Abkhazia still under Georgian military control.

'Safety restored'

News of Mr Medvedev's decision emerged as French President Nicolas Sarkozy arrived in Moscow expecting to press Russia on the need for a ceasefire.

According to a statement, Mr Medvedev told his defence minister and chief of staff that "the goal has been attained".

"I've decided to finish the operation to force the Georgian authorities to peace. The safety of our peacekeeping forces and civilian population has been restored.

"The aggressor has been punished, having sustained considerable losses. Its armed forces have been disorganised," he added.

The BBC's James Rodgers, in Moscow, said there is no sign yet that Russia is willing to engage in talks with the government in Tbilisi.

Russia's Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, has insisted that Georgia must sign a legally binding document on the non-use of force.

And Mr Medvedev warned that Russia would not tolerate any further Georgian military activity in South Ossetia, saying: "Should centres of resistance or other aggressive attempts arise, you must take the decision to destroy them."

The BBC's Gabriel Gatehouse, near Gori, reported seeing sporadic artillery fire around the town right up until shortly before the Russian announcement.

Our correspondent said there was no sign of Russian troops south of Gori, but said there were a number of Georgian military vehicles abandoned or burnt on the road outside the town.

That's ok then.
dude, where's my life?

reuters 8-13-08 wrote:President George W. Bush's pledge to send aid to Georgia means that the U.S. military will take control of the ex-Soviet state's ports and airports, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said on Wednesday.

"You have heard the statement by the U.S. president that the United States is starting a military-humanitarian operation in Georgia," Saakashvili said in a television address.

"It means that Georgian ports and airports will be taken under the control of the U.S. defense ministry in order to conduct humanitarian and other missions."

Yeah, that isn't going to happen
Eat me.

little time to search, but the Russians claim Georgia did something to instigate their aggression. What exactly is their claim, and is it true?

I know i could search the internet, but i enjoy posing questions in a forum because of what the answers they lead to
scott wrote:It was fun. We laughed, we cried, most of us shit ourselves as far as I know. What a world.

fedaykin13 wrote:little time to search, but the Russians claim Georgia did something to instigate their aggression. What exactly is their claim, and is it true?

I know i could search the internet, but i enjoy posing questions in a forum because of what the answers they lead to

The Georgians were harassing the South Ossetians, who are in Georgia but are clamoring for independence. The Russians sympathize with the South Ossetians.

That's the simple, straightforward answer. Of course there is more to it than that.
That's not entirely true.

Schadenfreude wrote:
fedaykin13 wrote:little time to search, but the Russians claim Georgia did something to instigate their aggression. What exactly is their claim, and is it true?

The Georgians were harassing the South Ossetians, who are in Georgia but are clamoring for independence. The Russians sympathize with the South Ossetians.

That's the simple, straightforward answer. Of course there is more to it than that.

They also shot down two Russian planes supposedly
Rick Reuben wrote:Marsupialized reminds me of freedom