DAW: Reaper

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 1 (100%)
Total votes: 1

haha 2nd'd on live.
ive had it on my desktop for about the same amount of time. and havnt even bothered. i know people that can really use it well but i cant figure out even the most basic shit on it. but then again all i want from a computer daw is to act like a big tape recorder with some editing options. and adobe and reaper seem to be just up my ally
I've got all the natural gas we could ever need

japmn wrote:
warmowski wrote:Supports VST, AU etc.

Does not support AU (according to spec on website)

The OSX (pre-beta) version does, I should have been more platform-specific. VST 2.4 plugs do work under OSX

Does support .APE (Monkey Audio) files which is fucking cool.
Rob (or anyone else) have you ever experimented with this?

Not the monkey deal, no. But having been able to throw mp3s, aifs, wavs and oggs into the same project with unmatched sample rates and just have the shit play/sum is SO COOL.
It sure does look great. It's feature loaded too. How is the routing?

Routing is the best I've ever seen. Total abstraction with zero "no you can't do that" moments. Super-simple pre/post fader/pan to and from any chan, aux or buss or what have you. Inserts are right there for each entity created. Sidechain anything with anything. Full automation for whatever routing your create right there. Access to HW ins/outs in the same space. Done Right.

One thing I would like to see in DAWs is a better patchbay/console buss style routing system... with mults. I know you can set that kind of thing up but it always seems clumsy.

See Above. Mult your ass off.

Does it have any kind of Beatmatching/loop stretching on a grid shit?

Yeah. I never use it, but yeah.

And Finally, can you record in reverse?

Hm. Yes, in a way - feature's called Reverse / Reverse items as new take. That's not reversing at record time I realize, but, I dunno, so what?

busbus wrote:Wow, this things has distributed effects processing across multiple machines?

Right over ethernet. Haven't used it, but the user community reports it hums right along.

Adam I wrote:Not so keen on the insanely protective/proactive users who are verging on cultishness in their attempts to spread their indoctrinating word across the entire internets, but whatareyougonnado?

Look, if you wanted to be left alone, you should have put a fence around your house. Here, take this brochure.

Last edited by warmowski_Archive on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

japmn wrote:I will never try it because I cannot find any space in my head for learning yet another DAW. I think it is great for people just getting started, but I cannot abide another project format. Hell, I can't even make myself learn Live and it has been sitting on my CPU for 2 years.

No more room.

Exactly my thought's. I've downloaded it and tried it for a bit but i'm still learning the ins and outs of Sonar that i've been using since 2002. And having to relearn with every major release.

I will keep an eye on it though as I see it being a major player in a couple of years if they build on it.

DAW: Reaper DAW: Reaper

I've been trying out 'Reamote' recently - it allows you to farm out processing to other PCs, in realtime. I have my desktop doing the main stuff and then my laptop doing fancy reverb or whatever is using most CPU. Works really, really well and it's dead easy to set up; most of the set-up is automatic.

A great way to prolong the lives of my two elderly machines.

NOT CRAP.
I walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back.

DAW: Reaper DAW: Reaper

birdsfly wrote:If this had a clip edit function comparable to Audition, I'd be really into it. I might check it out again anyway.

Well, it depends what you want to do, editing-wise. Most editing functions can be done in Reaper non-destructively, alternatively, you can assign an external editor (Audition for example) which will be opened on double-clicking an item - Reaper will then replace the item with the edited version once you've done editing.
I walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back.