Rhys Chatham + Manuel G ¶ttsching in NYC, August 15th

Ty Webb wrote: all the way to Queens

StAb

It is 6:15pm here. Show starts at 7 with the Chatham piece on second. There is an active flash flood alert and thunderstorms predicted. I am of the opinion that it will shit down rain any moment. I do not want to see 200 guitarists frantically trying to protect their gear. That would suck.
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:In the 1988 season the Orioles lost their first 21 games to set a ML record for most consecutive losses. I decided then to have their logo as my avatar.

Rock-a-lock

This didn't happen.

They had to make the call at noon to hold it in the church where we'd been practicing or risk it and try and hold it outside. The organizers decided to risk it - the piece had been done in a church before and the temptation of the outdoors was too great to pass up..

We practiced in the afternoon and, oddly, the dry acoustic space of the outdoors made it even better.

The weather held until about 90 minutes before showtime. Then it rained for about 2 hours. The show organizers rearranged the program to see if we could hold out, but in the end, power issues were too serious a concern. So they called it off.

This was a minor tragedy. If only they'd held it inside. If only the weather had held for 3 more hours. If only it hadn't started raining when we were on break so that we could all have covered the stuff well. If, if, if.

Some hinted it'd be tried again. This would be fine with us. We watched the rain piss down on thin plastic, covering our 200 amps. We glumly worried about our gear and glumly, slowly realized this special thing would not happen.

The rest of the Electrical NYC crue is drinking the pain away, as it should be.

Damn,

= Justin

Hey Justin, you left without saying goodbye... Thanks for buying me a drink and all... you should come buy Sunset Park and I'll treat you to some amazing Mexican food.

Vockins, thanks for the beer and thanks for talking sense into the group at a critical moment... 12 people can be hard to seat on a friday night.

I'm bummed it didn't go down. I was hoping to try to pick out you and Craig above the din.
David
TRONOGRAPHIC - RUSTY BOX

right on, justin. i'd do it again in a second.

we worked so hard, and the composition was so beautiful...the entire orchestra was very disappointed by the lincoln center pulling the plug on the event last minute. might be worse for us guitarists because we had a taste of how moving and powerful of an event it would have been. i can't describe the experience of playing with 200 guitars...sheer transcendence. and to have been able to present such a stunning event to an audience of 10,000 people...well, that would have just been amazing.

but it meant a lot to me to see all my friends there, sitting in the rain.

and it was really nice meeting y'all. here's to us, section 1!

the fucking salt on the wound - is how fucking beautiful of a night it turned out to be too. perfectly clear weather, nice and cool.

-joshua...

{edit}

oh, and fuck the alto 1 in our section who bailed at 8pm.

Justin from Queens wrote:This didn't happen.

They had to make the call at noon to hold it in the church where we'd been practicing or risk it and try and hold it outside. The organizers decided to risk it - the piece had been done in a church before and the temptation of the outdoors was too great to pass up..

We practiced in the afternoon and, oddly, the dry acoustic space of the outdoors made it even better.

The weather held until about 90 minutes before showtime. Then it rained for about 2 hours. The show organizers rearranged the program to see if we could hold out, but in the end, power issues were too serious a concern. So they called it off.

This was a minor tragedy. If only they'd held it inside. If only the weather had held for 3 more hours. If only it hadn't started raining when we were on break so that we could all have covered the stuff well. If, if, if.

Some hinted it'd be tried again. This would be fine with us. We watched the rain piss down on thin plastic, covering our 200 amps. We glumly worried about our gear and glumly, slowly realized this special thing would not happen.

The rest of the Electrical NYC crue is drinking the pain away, as it should be.

Damn,

= Justin

If it makes y'all feel any better, I absentmindedly left my wallet at home tonight but only realized this by the time we arrived at the venue, at which point it was too late to turn back. SO, I ended up not seeing the Ex. And to make matters worse, due to poor communication, my ride left without me and I was stranded in Boston. (All around a rather absurd evening.)

Sorry to hear that your concert got cancelled-- That's a big bummer. But the piece will be performed some time, right?