Total votes: 18 (45%)
Patriotic Bullshit!
Total votes: 7 (18%)
Whatever, Sports Fan, Go Fuck Yourself!
Total votes: 15 (38%)
Total votes: 40

Crap-Not Crap: The Olympics

Ty Webb wrote:
Heeby Jeeby wrote:WTF?? Is baseball an Olympic sport? Surely not... but then I see this.

Heeby, what on earth are you on about? Baseball's probably the second-most popular sport globally. What are you so surprised about? Nearly all of Latin America considers it a national pastime, as do Korea and Japan. That's a hell of a lot of people who love that sport.

Yeah fair point about those other sports but it looks like both baseball and softball are out of the Olympics after this year.

Heeby Jeeby wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Heeby Jeeby wrote:WTF?? Is baseball an Olympic sport? Surely not... but then I see this.

Heeby, what on earth are you on about? Baseball's probably the second-most popular sport globally. What are you so surprised about? Nearly all of Latin America considers it a national pastime, as do Korea and Japan. That's a hell of a lot of people who love that sport.

Yeah fair point about those other sports but it looks like both baseball and softball are out of the Olympics after this year.

Which is absurd considering that (at least with softball), it's due to American domination. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that also eliminate basketball? Oh, right. But those are superstar men so the same argument doesn't hold sway.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert

Heeby Jeeby wrote:Yeah fair point about those other sports but it looks like both baseball and softball are out of the Olympics after this year.

I can't speak to the situation with softball, but the situation with baseball has nothing to do with popularity. Major League Baseball (more specifically the player's union) wouldn't consent to subjecting players to the IOC standard of drug testing, and they wouldn't release Major League players in the middle of the pennant races to compete in a comparatively meaningless exhibition.

The creation of the World Baseball Cup didn't really win friends over at the IOC, either.