Question for mandroid

Mandroid2.0 wrote:
ssakmule wrote:Have you shifted over to a rice cooker? Is this the next "ask tmidgett thread"? Are elephants obese?

I am still sans rice cooker and doing just fine. Our kitchen is set up in such a way that a rice cooker would only take up precious counter space when trying to prepare a meal.

I am nowhere near as wise as tmidgett, though I am happy to field your questions as best as I can.

I am sure that there are obese elephants, especially in some of the more archaic zoos and circuses around the world.

BTW, elephants kill approximately 125 people a year. Snakes kill tens of thousands of people. Same thing with venomous spiders. Even dogs are responsible for about 20 human deaths each year here in the U.S. Sharks average only a few human fatalities from attacks each year, currently an average of ~8 worldwide.

Thanks, wiselady. But before I depart, there's one question that I forgot to ask. Elephants are the only mammals that cannot jump. Any reason?. They seem very happy balancing on their hind legs & bouncing beach balls off their snouts in a circus, but they just don't seem to propel themselves.

You know why? Are they shy? The closest to jumping that I have seen was on National Geographic when I saw a baby elephant climb up a tree to escape from a lion. It did not know how to come down but eventually managed to slide now the neck of a passing giraffe. Also, what do you think of the superhit radiohead song paranoidandroid?

No Dumbo references please. I mean plain gravity defying jumps
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.

Question for mandroid

ssakmule wrote:Thanks, wiselady. But before I depart, there's one question that I forgot to ask. Elephants are the only mammals that cannot jump. Any reason?. They seem very happy balancing on their hind legs & bouncing beach balls off their snouts in a circus, but they just don't seem to propel themselves.

You know why? Are they shy? The closest to jumping that I have seen was on National Geographic when I saw a baby elephant climb up a tree to escape from a lion. It did not know how to come down but eventually managed to slide now the neck of a passing giraffe. Also, what do you think of the superhit radiohead song paranoidandroid?

No Dumbo references please. I mean plain gravity defying jumps

I had to research that question, which I would assume disqualifies mammals that do not have "legs" such as sea lions or walruses.

The activities that you describe are things that they are trained to do but would not do in nature. In general, elephants must have at least one foot on the ground at all times and their tremendous weight and the physiology of their feet and legs prevents jumping, at least in adults.

some elephant expert lady wrote:… because of its great weight, an elephant cannot jump or even run in the accepted sense since it must keep one foot on the ground at all times.

LiveScience.com wrote:...fast-moving elephants have a springy step that qualifies them as runners within the animal world...although elephants don't lift all four feet at once, a previous definition of running, they showed signs of using their legs like pogo sticks, compressing and rebounding with each step...Many animals are now known to bounce without leaving the ground —- many birds, insects, and Icelandic ponies for example. Even at their top speed of 15 mph, elephants keep one or two feet on the ground at all times.

I think that the top speed of an elephant is actually 25 mph and that speed is a typo, but, yeah. Elephants just aren't built to leave the earth.

As for Radiohead, meh. I really like a few Radiohead songs but for the most part I find them dull and forgettable and until I just played it, I honestly couldn't remember which song "Paranoid Android" was, so I guess my answer is "meh." Not bad but not ground-breaking or exciting.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert