Hybrid Bicycle Advice

So I'm thinking of buying a bike for the first time in my adult life. I was thinking about getting a hybrid, and I was wondering if any of you bike owners have some advice. Is this a good decision? How much should I spend? Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.

The main reason I want a bike is that I now work about two miles from my house. That's a little too far to walk all the time, but it's kind of an annoying public transportation trip, because once I've walked to the subway I'm already a third of the way to my workplace. So mainly I would be using the bike to go to and from work, and also to ride around the city.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

Check out similarly priced mountain bikes and see how the component specs compare. You can then fit narrow slicks - I have 1" slicks on mine which are fast when pumped up hard.

If you have smooth roads though, I might consider a racer for more speed. Not so comfortable though.

Try to stick with well-known brands like Specialized and Canondale, etc. (not sure what's available in the US though).

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

For work, buy a reliable but sturdy, unoticeable bike. Something that people won't want to steal. Buy a big lock unless you have decent storage at work.

Hybrids are damned fine for commuting, but you may catch the bug and want a tourer, racer, mtb for use later on.

Check out good deals on the internet, but local shops will usually give good advice.
dude, where's my life?

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

I bought a hybrid bike a couple years ago. I love it. I don't go long distances otherwise I'd stick to a road bike. But for booting around the city it's great. The two Canadian companies I checked out were Giant and Devinci. The Giant was strange and uncomfortable, ended up with the Devinci, the Sydney model. I find hybrid bikes are generally a lot less flashy than road bikes.
Don't get chumpatized!

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

the key things i'm reading in the first post are :

gmilner wrote: a bike for the first time in my adult life. I now work about two miles from my house.

you should get something comfortable. something you can get a rear rack and some panniers for, if you want.

something like this or this.

i looked at CL for NYC and there's just too much on there for me to wade through.

i imagine you'd be able to find something for $200, used.
"I'm not much for screechin' about elves"

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

I own and love this bike.

I would suggest an internal-gear hub because of the low maintenance. Three speeds would be fine for Chicagoland. Probably don't want a single speed if you are new to the bike thing.

I got an old six speed "Free Spirit" off of craigslist for my summer commuting in Tempe, Arizona. Worked out great. An older bike can also be a deterrent to bike theft.
In retrospect, I should have stepped off the stage and utter-kicked Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

-BRW

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

After months and months and months of shopping, I bought one of these at a garage sale recently for $100. You should be ale to find one for under $200 all day long, if it's your thing.

I've started taking it a few days a week on my nine mile (each way) commute to work. Rides like a dream. The suspension can be tightened up well for road riding and the aluminum frame is really light and fast. It's a great bike for a 20 mile ride around town, or tearing up curbs in the neighborhood late at night. I love this thing.

LINK
Rick Reuben wrote:I was reading the Electrical Forum in my parents' basement when ...