drummers: what should i be doing beyond rudiments?

bassness wrote:There's a book called Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections that has guitar, bass and drum transcriptions for 22 JB classics. The drum transcriptions are good as they break the groove down to a more basic form in addition to showing the recorded version. It comes with 2 cds.i have this book, and you may have it. (fuck! just realized i've not sent eliya that damn pedal...sorry, eliya, i swear it's coming.)
buy my guitar. now with pictures!

a. james wrote:bassness wrote:There's a book called Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections that has guitar, bass and drum transcriptions for 22 JB classics. The drum transcriptions are good as they break the groove down to a more basic form in addition to showing the recorded version. It comes with 2 cds.i have this book, and you may have it. (fuck! just realized i've not sent eliya that damn pedal...sorry, eliya, i swear it's coming.)holy crap! PM me, and thanks!
henchmusic
hench-av
silver wonder

i bought a drum set. now i need to learn how to play it. i've got the vic firth site bookmarked and i'm practicing the rudiments found therein. i'm also playing along to music, playing without music, working on integrating both hands with both feet (and then switching the patterns between the feet/the hands/etc), and so on. what am i missing that i'll kick myself for missing in a few months?if it makes a difference, the bajillion years of piano study gave me a decent sense of rhythm/polyrhythm/not speeding up/limb independence. not to say that these couldn't be improved, just saying that i'm not a total rube...more than anything, i want to play like clyde stubblefield. not flashy, just awesome.thanks!
henchmusic
hench-av
silver wonder