Little tech questions from your day

Can anyone tell me what this guitar effect is and what it's supposed to do? I know Martin Moscrop from ACR used it on the band's early (and obviously best) stuff (he told me so), but I have no idea what the thing does.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Charlie D wrote:SecondEdition wrote:Can anyone tell me what this guitar effect is and what it's supposed to do? I know Martin Moscrop from ACR used it on the band's early (and obviously best) stuff (he told me so), but I have no idea what the thing does.From everything in those reviews, it looks to me like VCF stands for Voltage Controlled Filter, so it's probably an ASDR envelope of some sort. That would be my guess.So is that some kind of autowah, then?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Charlie D wrote:Here's something I've always wondered that I didn't think needed a whole thread:Why is the tape loop in a Space Echo all loose and jumbled rather than sitting taut on a series of reels and such?I think it's simply that the only part of the tape that needs to be under tension is the part in contact with the heads. Not keeping the whole thing taut allows a much longer loop to be stored in a smaller space, which results in tapes that last longer because each point on the tape is run over the heads less frequently than would be the case in a short loop that is tensioned all the way around.Here's mine: the A820 and A827 have a reverse record function, but there's no second erase head on the take-up side of the record head. If you want to record something backwards, do you have to use blank tape or manually/spot erase the section to be recorded on before you start?
Don't shun it. Fun it.

fedaykin13 wrote:endofanera wrote:fedaykin13 wrote:you guys are gonna make fun of me but here it goes:in the song Debonair by The Afghan Whigs.How is the sound achieved for the second guitar?No particular effect that I could hear in those videos, just sounds to me like he's playing octaves. Fret two notes an octave apart and play.really?it almost sounds like a little chorus pedal with distortion, but I'm not sure.It reminds me of earlier Jawbreaker.I liked his tone but felt like it was distortion plus at least one other thing.i'm an idiot when it comes to guitar gear.If he's guitar isn't tuned and/or intonated properly then it might sound choursy. I didn't listen to the youtube links and have no idea what's this song.

fedaykin13 wrote:you guys are gonna make fun of me but here it goes:in the song "Debonair" by The Afghan Whigs.How is the sound achieved for the second guitar?No particular effect that I could hear in those videos, just sounds to me like he's playing octaves. Fret two notes an octave apart and play.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

fedaykin13 wrote:endofanera wrote:fedaykin13 wrote:you guys are gonna make fun of me but here it goes:in the song "Debonair" by The Afghan Whigs.How is the sound achieved for the second guitar?No particular effect that I could hear in those videos, just sounds to me like he's playing octaves. Fret two notes an octave apart and play.really?it almost sounds like a little chorus pedal with distortion, but I'm not sure.It reminds me of earlier Jawbreaker.I liked his tone but felt like it was distortion plus at least one other thing.i'm an idiot when it comes to guitar gear.Could be some chorus -- hard to tell from a youtube video, but if so it wasnt overwhelming. Main thing I heard was just what sounded like him playing octaves.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:Here's my question: One of my heads (the head part of a traynor YGM-4 Guitar mate) has 3 inputs. I find that if I bridge 2 and 3 and plug into 1, I get more gain. Also, I have seen Marshalls and Hiwatts with 4 inputs, and people bridge two of them. What the hell is going on here? How can an two inputs hooked together get more gain?With the Marshall and Hiwatt 4 input models, it's two separate preamp sections that you are bridging together. That's why you get more gain.
--Mike Watt

you guys are gonna make fun of me but here it goes:in the song "Debonair" by The Afghan Whigs.How is the sound achieved for the second guitar?From the beginning of the song, one guitar starts then right before the drums start the beata second guitar plays a little riff that sounds like some sort of octave.what effects are used to achieve the sound of that guitar.I sort of like it. It's probably something really simpleI know there is a video for the song, but I just can't find it.
scott wrote:It was fun. We laughed, we cried, most of us shit ourselves as far as I know. What a world.