Alex Chilton dead at 59

Oh my god. This is horrible. I had always wanted to see Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens play together.Alex Chilton's music changed my life. As a songwriter, he was one of the very best ever.This breaks my heart. I don't care how much of a dick he supposedly was. I can think of almost no better songwriters in the American rock canon.Goodbye. You were one of my absolute favorites, Alex Chilton. It's like all the blood just rushed out of my feet, and I don't even know you.
kerble wrote:Ernest Goes to Jail In Your Ass

Alex Chilton dead at 59

I saw him tour circa High Priest - mostly because of the adoration by The Replacements. I think my appreciation of him is much higher now than it was then. I absolutely love all 3 Big Star albums.Shocked and saddened. R.I.P. Mr. Chilton.
Mark Lansing wrote:Night Ranger, on the other hand, always sucked like a cheap whore with bad teeth at a Shriner's convention.

Alex Chilton dead at 59

tmidgett wrote:If you don't get stuck there:Dusted in Memphis bootlegLike Flies on SherbertLive in LondonThe live Big Star album on RykoNo SexBach's BottomFeudalist TartsCliches (just to listen to him sing some of that stuff)In more or less that order. The other stuff is intermittently entertaining but not anything you want to get unless you have everything else.I would put Nobody Can Dance (on Norton) at the top of that list, but I haven't heard Dusted in Memphis. Nobody Can Dance is a great performance, well recorded.