Wedding Music or "your song"

Marsupialized wrote:Boombats wrote:Marsupialized wrote:How the fuck you with a girl for 17 years and ain't been married yet?We are not religiousWe don't have kidsWe don't give a shit about convention custom or traditionOr health insurance?I would've said 'true love' or something but whatever.What would I know, me and Ladysmith have been around like eight years now.

I had a couple of good ones in my head, but then I forgot them. The stuff my girlfriend and I like together is Dead Meadow and Black Angels, so that would be a tough. I'm sure she'd want the XX in there somewhere, as would I. Probably a Ramones song, since that was something I showed her early on and she loved. She'll want some Belle and Sebastian in there because she's a girl and loves that band (not that I would mind). Gotta sneak some GBV in and some dirty detroit rock for good measure. I know this would be somewhat boring for most guests, so I would definitely get my friend to DJ, he's got a great soul collection to get people moving. As long as my wedding doesn't have a bunch of "wedding" songs in it, I think I'll be happy. I was thinking also maybe a live karaoke band, too. Just to spruce things up.
Builder/Destroyer | Highwheel Records

We walked down the aisle to Green Onions by Booker T. and the MG's, performed by members of Kahoots. DJ Carrie Weston made an awesome mix for mingling and another one for dancing. No wedding type songs. If you need to hire a DJ in Chicago she fucking rules! Live music by kick ass local high school band Piere, Nina Vilot Band and Kahoots played a set as well. Good times.

Wedding Music or your song

Hired a string quartet for my wedding. This was the processional: Dvorak Quartet Op. 96 American, 2nd Mvmt.The recessional was some finale from one of the Beethoven Op.18 quartets. I can't remember which one.The music at the end of the ceremony was Voices of Spring and Tales from the Vienna Woods by JS Strauss Jr. If you happen to be a quartet or trio I hire for a wedding, I'm gonna putcha to work!The reception was a mix of 70s disco dreck, some 80s stuff, hot jass, 50s crooners, some exotica and lounge, some friend's bands, and so forth.I think we danced to Possession by Sun Ra and the Arkestra.I'm not married to Ms. Ex-Geiginni anymore, but we had a pretty cool fuckin' wedding.
Marsupialized wrote:Right now somewhere nearby there is a fat video game nerd in his apartment fucking a pretty hot girl he met off craigslist. God bless that craig and his list.

off the top of my head, what i remembernaive melody (don't shoot me but we used the live cbc arcade fire cover version...i just really like that dang one)bill withers' lovely day (i think i even got the idea for it here, ages ago. thanks electrical, you come through!)the velvet underground - i'll be your mirror, beginning to see the lightjames brown - cold sweatdavid bowie - be my wifehope sandoval and the warm inventions - sparklyastrud gilberto - agua de beber, one note sambadisco inferno - footprints in snownina simone - just in timescientist - ten dangerous matches pt. 1iggy pop - the passenger (that was an inside story-type deal, as were many of the "unromantic" ones)cat power's cover of i found a reasontram - once i wasskinny puppy - love (a fucked up choice given what i take the song to be about, but then, we also thought it'd be great to play talking heads' i'm not in love, so...)brian eno - i'll come runningjohn coltrane - acknowledgment (cheesy maybe and extremely common, but great)lee perry - how deepsam cooke - win your love for mebig star - thank you friendswhat else...easy to love, blue skies, a lover's concerto, nice work if you can get it, tell him, dimmest star, you can have it all (the ylt cover), be my baby, la vie en rose, a buncha stevie wonder...there was also fela kuti, esg, liquid liquid, sun ra, section 25, pylon, chrome, wire, can, etc. but obviously more to dance to or enjoy than because of any particular meaning. and a buncha totally inappropriate yet inexplicably also cliche classical (piano trio in e flat, trois gymnopedies, sad sack shit like that) for personal shared history-type nudging reasons.went to a wedding in chicago recently for my cousin and the first dance was "for once in my life". made me smile it did.
i don't wanna post any more comments 'cause if i do my status will no longer be "courtesan."