Help me remember... thread

danmaksym wrote:Please help me remember the 1970's - 1990's movie (or movies) that begin with a close-up of a clock radio and the DJ's voice on that radio saying something along the lines of It's gonna be scorcher today...I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing. The DJ in question is none other than Samuel L. Jackson.

scntfc, could that possibly be Defiance, with Jan Michael Vincent?I've got one and it's a real long shot: I read this book in the fifth grade about a girl and maybe a guy friend and she hates school and her family. She ends up getting recruited by this woman who makes a duplicate robot of her that goes to school and does all the shit she hates doing at home, including dealing with her family and her chores and what not. Meanwhile, she's allowed to stay at the robot testing center and they let her eat whatever she wants and she can stay up late and do whatever. Finally she gets bummed and wants to go home but the robot's like, no dice, I like it here, fuck off. I don't remember how it's resolved. I read it in '78-'79 but it could have been written well before that. Any ideas?

There is a movie that scared the shit out of me when I was younger. I think that it was a 70's horror film, with a Hammer kind of look.Some monster (I think that it was a warewolf, or a frankenstein-type of thing) jumped on a carriage and, after assaulting it, threw a girl on the ground. First, he rips her shirt open, I *think* exposing her breasts, but then he opens up her ribcage! That shocked me like you couldn't believe, I think that it was the fist time I was exposed to gore.I may have changed that memory a little after so many years, but if you knew what movie I'm talking about, I'll appreciate it.

Awesome thread.Here's mine: Late 70s, early 80s TV after school special type movie about the dangers of street gangs. i remember a game of baseball/stickball in a vacant lot or something, and the ball gets hit and goes through the window/sunroof of a car and knocks some dude's pizza in his lap, getting red sauce all over his awesome white slacks. this is cause for retaliation, and an epic gang fight ensues... gangsters chasing gangsters around the streets, culminating in one dude getting stabbed in the gut. this movie freaked the shit out of me when i was a kid, and am pretty sure is the sole reason why i didn't join a street gang. it was not the warriors. if i had seen the warriors at that age, i would most definitely have joined a gang because that movie is awesome.

Such a longshot, especially since my memory of it has faded so much over the years. But I remember one time only, I played a board game that had some kinda dragon/sword theme to it, and it had a really cool shade of purple on the board. It would have been somewhere in the 1980-1982 range I'm guessing, and likely would have been a new game at that time.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

The Canadian wrote:I was JUST thinking of starting a thread like this one.A film, made in the 1970's I believe: Some deep sea divers find an old sunken ocean liner but a porthole opens and a woman appears in the window. A submarine expedition enters the ship and finds that most of the crew and passengers have survived and seem to be in good health except for a group of outcasts who live on the far side of the ship. These outcasts are passengers who tried to make it to the surface but had gotten the bends and returned. In the end the expedition wants to to rescue the survivors and take them to the surface but many of them don't want to leave. I believe there is some sort of violent conflict aboard the ship with the outcasts and maybe the captain tries to sabotage the rescue but I can't remember for sure. Anyone know the name of this movie?I believe this is Goliath awaits. On my mobile right now, otherwise I would provide links. I also second Do the right thing for the alarm clock DJ memory there. Good movie.