Seen any good movies lately?

same wrote:Haven't been to the theater much lately. I think the most recent film I've seen is Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. It's good. It's hard to follow at times and has kind of a generic spy plot (not bad, just plain), but the acting and photography are exceptional. Wardrobe is great too. Recommended.If you enjoyed this, I wholeheartedly recommend the 1980 version. It was a six part TV series starring Alec Guiness as Smiley and it absolutely dumps on the film version. Much easier to follow, as the narrative threads are fleshed out much more, allowing you to actually figure out what the hell is going on. It is fairly glacial in pacing however, so don't start watching it when you're not fully awake.Alec Guiness > Gary Oldman.

Riff Magnum wrote:bawbag wrote:same wrote:Haven't been to the theater much lately. I think the most recent film I've seen is Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. It's good. It's hard to follow at times and has kind of a generic spy plot (not bad, just plain), but the acting and photography are exceptional. Wardrobe is great too. Recommended.If you enjoyed this, I wholeheartedly recommend the 1980 version. It was a six part TV series starring Alec Guiness as Smiley and it absolutely dumps on the film version. Much easier to follow, as the narrative threads are fleshed out much more, allowing you to actually figure out what the hell is going on. It is fairly glacial in pacing however, so don't start watching it when you're not fully awake.Alec Guiness > Gary Oldman.That's a bold(ed) statement.Indeed. I love Gary Oldman, too. But...

gaetano wrote:punch\_the\_lion wrote:On my list to still seeA SeparationThat one. Solid gold.My cinephile friend in New York saw this a few months ago and said it's great.Today he saw the new Hirokazu Kore-eda film, I Wish, and on the whole he thinks it's very good. This is reassuring because Kore-eda's previous film, Air Doll, is patently mediocre (I turned it off before finishing it, even though I'm a fan of his work).

enframed wrote:A Totem Pole wrote:I keep forgetting about Midnight in Paris. It was cute.I like that one too. He did a good job at pointing out the warm sunny glow of nostalgia while having an awareness of the folly in 'Golden Age' thinking.Owen Wilson did a great Woody Allen in that movie. This has been my favorite Allen film since about twenty movies ago. I did like the first act of VCB, but I enjoyed it less after Penolope Cruz showed up, even though she did a fine job in the role.

bawbag wrote:same wrote:Haven't been to the theater much lately. I think the most recent film I've seen is Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. It's good. It's hard to follow at times and has kind of a generic spy plot (not bad, just plain), but the acting and photography are exceptional. Wardrobe is great too. Recommended.If you enjoyed this, I wholeheartedly recommend the 1980 version. It was a six part TV series starring Alec Guiness as Smiley and it absolutely dumps on the film version. Much easier to follow, as the narrative threads are fleshed out much more, allowing you to actually figure out what the hell is going on. It is fairly glacial in pacing however, so don't start watching it when you're not fully awake.Alec Guiness > Gary Oldman.That's a bold(ed) statement.

bawbag wrote:Riff Magnum wrote:bawbag wrote:same wrote:Haven't been to the theater much lately. I think the most recent film I've seen is Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. It's good. It's hard to follow at times and has kind of a generic spy plot (not bad, just plain), but the acting and photography are exceptional. Wardrobe is great too. Recommended.If you enjoyed this, I wholeheartedly recommend the 1980 version. It was a six part TV series starring Alec Guiness as Smiley and it absolutely dumps on the film version. Much easier to follow, as the narrative threads are fleshed out much more, allowing you to actually figure out what the hell is going on. It is fairly glacial in pacing however, so don't start watching it when you're not fully awake.Alec Guiness > Gary Oldman.That's a bold(ed) statement.Indeed. I love Gary Oldman, too. But...Well, yeah, that's pretty awesome too. Is there any way to watch this in it's entirety? Netflix?

Dave//Eksvplot wrote:gaetano wrote:punch\_the\_lion wrote:On my list to still seeA SeparationThat one. Solid gold.My cinephile friend in New York saw this a few months ago and said it's great.Looks like it just won the Oscar for best foreign movie. It fully deserved it, IMHO. It made a \_huge\_ impression on me when I first saw it. One of those movies that stay with you.