Seen any good movies lately?

I could see how someone would think "Tree of Life" is boring, or slow maybe. I guess it works for me. It's one of my favorite movies ever. The "universe" scenes are jaw dropping, the music and cinematography are on another level, and there's about a ten minute stretch from the time when the kids are born to when the mother calls them into supper, that i could barely breath. I had goosebumps the whole time. Never seen a movie that portrays childhood and the memories of childhood so well.

I recently got to see Tarkovsky's The Mirror here in Cleveland at the Cleveland Institute of Art Cinematheque. An aquintance of mine who studies film was also there, and when she and I were walking out, she was in a zone, as apparently she saw The Tree of Life not long ago and just realized that, to her anyway, the latter is an homage to the former.
Dr. McNinja wrote:I just surfed a robo dracula from the Moon, so all y'alls can just take it.

Riff Magnum wrote:I could see how someone would think "Tree of Life" is boring, or slow maybe. I guess it works for me. It's one of my favorite movies ever. The "universe" scenes are jaw droppingI have no problem with slow, and I like all of Malick's other films. The universe unfolding scene, the one that was accompanied by some aria(?) was beautiful.Watched Lovely & Amazing last night. Good movie.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Also, I watched The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane again recently, and it was just as creepy as I remembered. Teenage Jodie Foster, Martin Sheen (as would-be pedophile), and Scott Jacoby (AKA Bad Ronald) as a crippled teenage magician/love interest. What's not to like?That's one fucked up little movie. Could be Martin Sheen's best performance. The ending is perfect.I enjoyed Win, Win. The best wrestling movie I've seen besides Vision Quest.

Seen a great run of films these last few weeks. Each one as fine as the next:Incendies by Denis Villeneuve (2010)How I Ended This Summer by Alexei Popogrebski (2010)Once Upon a Time in Anatolia by Nuri Bilge Ceylen (2011)Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy by Tomas Alfredson (2011)A Separation by Asghar Farhadi (2011)Drive and Melancholia had their merits too. I think they've been discussed elsewhere...

Adrian wrote:Seen a great run of films these last few weeks. Each one as fine as the next:Incendies by Denis Villeneuve (2010)How I Ended This Summer by Alexei Popogrebski (2010)Once Upon a Time in Anatolia by Nuri Bilge Ceylen (2011)Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy by Tomas Alfredson (2011)A Separation by Asghar Farhadi (2011)Drive and Melancholia had their merits too. I think they've been discussed elsewhere...I'm forgetting Mateo Gil's Blackthorn (2011) which also deserves a mention.

etch wrote:I enjoyed Win, Win. The best wrestling movie I've seen besides Vision Quest.I saw this recently too, and really enjoyed it. I have no interest in wrestling at all (in fact my other half spent the first half an hour saying "Is that really a sport? In real life?") so I dunno how it rates as a wrestling film, but I thought it did a good job of being in possibly sentimental territory without being at all sentimental. I think the casting really helped with this. Good simple unshowy acting all round.I really liked the way Giamatti's initial wrongdoing is kinda buried within the film in a similar way to the way he hides it from everyone else (and himself, maybe), so it's a nagging doubt in a "Hang on, but didn't he...?" sort of way. Was kind of stunned when I found out that this (and The Station Agent) was written and directed by the lying journalist from The Wire. Has anyone seen The Visitor? I never wanted to see it cos it looked a bit "world music feelgood", if you know what I mean, but I'm thinking I should reconsider.
yaledelay wrote:FUCK YOU APPLE PIE you are a old man...