Seen any good movies lately?

Jodi S. wrote:caset wrote:I used to have a roommate who own some crazy collection box set of his work, and it had one Ive been meaning to hunt down again. I cant remember the title, but it was about a village of raccoons trying to save their forest from construction. And they had magical powers that mostly involved their balls. Like inflating their balls and flying around on them. I dont recall any raccoon vagina magic.POM POKO!AKA Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko.Tanuki in the 1960s.I think it was just a Ghibli production, not an actual Miyazaki flick, but it's been ages since I saw it.Yeah, it is a Ghibli production directed by Isao Takahata, who is also the director of Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday and My Neighbors the Yamadas.caset wrote:The Keiko and I just watched Arietty recently. It was probably my least favorite Miyazaki movie, which is to say it was ok. This is also not a Miyazaki-directed film, but he worked on the production pretty heavily. It's actually directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who is notably the youngest director at Ghibli.
Dr. McNinja wrote:I just surfed a robo dracula from the Moon, so all y'alls can just take it.

caix wrote:Adam Sr wrote:Watched Marwencol for a second time. Still great, such an interesting story. The Descendents didn't do much for me. Might watch it again since enough people have raved about it.Young Adult very funny, and I was prejudiced against it as I don't like Reitman's other stuff.Young Adult was tough to watch, but not because it's terrible. The character is just so flawed as a person. The resolution in the movie is a bit weird (if you could call it a resolution). It's interesting that when it ends, the character seemed to have learned something, yet she didn't really change. The one bad thing I can say about the movie is that how many times they played the same Teenage Fanclub song. This is nothing against the band or the song, it was just annoyingly placed in the beginning. Too annoying, even if that was the intent.I didn't know it was TF, but I agree it was annoying.I liked the unlikability of the main character, and the way the film resisted the moralising tendencies that movies of this type generally go for, how the main character didn't really learn anything and takes entirely the wrong message from the 'take me with you' girl's story in the kitchen, which would be the pivotal turning moment in other such films. The woman's cynical, pathologically narcissistic optimism is still intact at the end for the sardonically 'happy' ending with the image of the smashed-up car.

Robert G wrote:Jodi S. wrote:caset wrote:I used to have a roommate who own some crazy collection box set of his work, and it had one Ive been meaning to hunt down again. I cant remember the title, but it was about a village of raccoons trying to save their forest from construction. And they had magical powers that mostly involved their balls. Like inflating their balls and flying around on them. I dont recall any raccoon vagina magic.POM POKO!AKA Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko.Tanuki in the 1960s.I think it was just a Ghibli production, not an actual Miyazaki flick, but it's been ages since I saw it.Yeah, it is a Ghibli production directed by Isao Takahata, who is also the director of Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday and My Neighbors the Yamadas.caset wrote:The Keiko and I just watched Arietty recently. It was probably my least favorite Miyazaki movie, which is to say it was ok. This is also not a Miyazaki-directed film, but he worked on the production pretty heavily. It's actually directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who is notably the youngest director at Ghibli.I saw and loved arritty it was a hour and 45 minutes long but I enjoyed the mood and especially the little bits of beautiful animation. The colors and everything was great and it has a personality cat.The Tauki racoon of Japan is a real animal.Here is some classic Tauki stuff form the old days of the web.Full video here this is japanese ad for a construction company but is pretty nuttyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEhxd16 ... detailpage[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEhxd16f0A&feature=player\_detailpage[/youtube]The real thing

Adam Sr wrote:Watched Marwencol for a second time. Still great, such an interesting story. The Descendents didn't do much for me. Might watch it again since enough people have raved about it.Young Adult very funny, and I was prejudiced against it as I don't like Reitman's other stuff.Young Adult was tough to watch, but not because it's terrible. The character is just so flawed as a person. The resolution in the movie is a bit weird (if you could call it a resolution). It's interesting that when it ends, the character seemed to have learned something, yet she didn't really change. The one bad thing I can say about the movie is that how many times they played the same Teenage Fanclub song. This is nothing against the band or the song, it was just annoyingly placed in the beginning. Too annoying, even if that was the intent.
Builder/Destroyer | Highwheel Records

Adam Sr wrote:caix wrote:Adam Sr wrote:Watched Marwencol for a second time. Still great, such an interesting story. The Descendents didn't do much for me. Might watch it again since enough people have raved about it.Young Adult very funny, and I was prejudiced against it as I don't like Reitman's other stuff.Young Adult was tough to watch, but not because it's terrible. The character is just so flawed as a person. The resolution in the movie is a bit weird (if you could call it a resolution). It's interesting that when it ends, the character seemed to have learned something, yet she didn't really change. The one bad thing I can say about the movie is that how many times they played the same Teenage Fanclub song. This is nothing against the band or the song, it was just annoyingly placed in the beginning. Too annoying, even if that was the intent.I didn't know it was TF, but I agree it was annoying.I liked the unlikability of the main character, and the way the film resisted the moralising tendencies that movies of this type generally go for, how the main character didn't really learn anything and takes entirely the wrong message from the 'take me with you' girl's story in the kitchen, which would be the pivotal turning moment in other such films. The woman's cynical, pathologically narcissistic optimism is still intact at the end for the sardonically 'happy' ending with the image of the smashed-up car.Yeah, I did like that it felt the movie was trending that way (as most movies do), but it never resolved in that matter. She was about as fucked up in the end as she was in the beginning.
Builder/Destroyer | Highwheel Records

The WomanLo-fi slasher flick, minimal gore compared to Offsrping (The Woman is the sequel to that); expect some cheesy writing but I'll add that it's also the first horror movie to give me nightmares since Psycho. This one along with Let the Right One In are the only two horror movies I've tried to convince my coworker, who's not a horror fan, to watch.Or, if you're in the mood for a laugh, Horrible Bosses was decent; it was smart but I didn't laugh out loud at any of the jokes. The Goods was stupid but if you like Craig Robinson, his character (DJ Request) chews up every scene he's in. Again, it's a stupid movie. For some reason, though, Craig Robinson had me laughing my ass off (nearly) every time they gave him a line.
This is going to get worse before it gets any better.