The all encompassing Computer help thread

BadComrade wrote:My money's on a bad power supply. Dell use shitty cheap parts. My ex-girlfriend's Dell desktop's power supply shit the bed less than a year from new.The only way a desktop is going to overheat is if the insides are caked with dust, or the fan for the processor or maybe power supply have died.I've never seen "Kernel Power Event 41" but along with a bad power supply and heat issue, apparently that can also point to RAM problems (forgot about that one), video card problems (again, forgot about that), and even software problems.So pretty much anything.I'm actually surprised about how finicky power supplies are. I've had problems with an Antec that was considered high end in its day. I've had it replaced 3 times by Antec so far. My first computer was a no name made by ABS. It had a rebranded powerman powersupply. That thing worked with zero problems. It was probably $15. Generic as can be. I opened it up at one point and put in a better, quieter fan. Too bad the ATX specs changed. There are issues where if you don't have enough draw on one of the rails, it causes instability which can make the mainboard shut down. You could have dirty AC going in that causes problems. It could be a malfunctioning video card, hard drive etc. The only way you are going to figure it out is by removing each item (and possibly replacing with a known good item if it can't boot without it) to determine where the problem is.I'd boot into safe mode first. If the problem goes away, then it is probably a driver.If it keeps happening, you will then have to do the swapping technique, which is another nightmare. Who keeps spare parts like that laying around? If you happen to live near a decent computer store, you can buy the parts and return them as you go, but most likely you won't find a decent computer store.EDIT:I just looked and there's a MicroCenter in the city. That will probably work. They aren't cheap but they generally have everything.Double editJesus, you guys have a Fry's as well. WTF. spoiled bitches.
m.koren wrote:Fuck, I knew it. You're a Blues Lawyer.

Is there possibly something more I can be looking for in the event viewer or something trying to track down a rough idea of what it is?here's one from right before a previous shutdown:Event ID 12348 ” Volume Shadow Copy Service OperationsAlso, what is bonjour service? there are about 200 error messages regarding some sort of task scheduling error ID: 100 Source: Bonjour Service
Rick Reuben wrote:Marsupialized reminds me of freedom

Point me to it if one exists, but if we could have a thread where people post problems they are having with their computers and maybe those knowledgeable can chime in and recommend fixes to these problems.My problem, my fairly brand new (about a year) old computer will randomly reboot out of nowhere, for seemingly no reason. at all. Happening more and more often.How can I figure out what is making it do this and stop it from doing this?Take me through the steps as if I am retarded.
Rick Reuben wrote:Marsupialized reminds me of freedom

Is it a laptop? If it's a laptop, are you operating it on a surface other than a hard flat one like a desk top? They stopped calling them laptops and started calling them notebook computers years ago. I think part of the reason is that most (but not all) laptops have vents in the bottom that are required for airflow for the fans to cool the processors. So operating them on a surface like your lap will block the fan airflow and make it overheat and shut down and stuff. Depending on operating system there is a way to view the system message event log. It will tell you exactly what's wrong. So... What OS then?
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album