Car buying questions

Agrajag wrote:If you're interested in the Matrix, the Pontiac Vibe is the same car with different badging. It's basically a Corolla, so you get Toyota reliability. They are ugly and the C-pillars give a horrendous blindspot, but they're decent enough at being a cheap, reliable wagon. The Matrix and Vibe both have AWD versions on the higher trim levels, though I think that was only in the second generation of the car.I had one of these for 4 or 5 years. Good car. Comfy for 5 adults and you can lug a bunch of shit. Decent fuel economy. Slightly underpowered in the basic version. I was very happy with it.

Car buying questions

Superking wrote:Re: Snow Tires.How am I a 41-year-old grown man who had never gotten the lowdown on this snow tire business before?These things are absolutely incredible!It's like I have a new g.d. car! Driving my dumb little FWD sub-compact around like a fucking boss, in a snowstorm!Jesus, it cost an arm and a leg, but the difference is really night and day. I just muscled my way into a snowy, rutty parking space that I wouldn't have dared to try yesterday.Thanks, PRF!You-all saved my about $8K this week!collective wisdom is often quite useful. I hate to say I told you so, but... ah fuck it, I don't hate it at all.

Car buying questions

Major wrote:I bought a 2014 Ford Focus last week. Loving it. 27/37. They've been significantly upgraded since 2012. I reckon you could score a used 2012 for less than the 2010 Prius.I have no problems with Prii, they are just no goddam fun to drive at all. I have a 2013 focus, the ST version. goddam if that isn't the greatest chassis and handling package I have ever experienced in a FWD platform. And the special ST suspension and brakes are amazing. the engine is a treat as well. my first ford product ever, and it is a really great car.

Car buying questions

tbone wrote:Superking wrote:They used to make an Accord Wagon. I wish they still did.They do, sort of. It's called the Crosstour, is ugly as shit, expensive, and marketed as a crossover.Yeah, I looked at the Crosstour when I finally retired my old Accord. It was out of my price range and seemed like a weird, half-practical, goofy-looking car.tbone wrote:I also have this weird fascination with the Honda Pilot. It's basically a huge boxy ugly outdated looking thing on an Accord frame. They haven't updated it in god knows how long besides adding updated technology and shit. But whenever they do update it, it's going to look like some big stupid egg probably.Haha. Yes, I'm strangely fascinated by the Pilot as well. I toyed very briefly with buying one last week, during the initial stages of my Snow Rage. That thing is also pricey, and way more vehicle than I need. But if I had the money (and a garage), I'd probably get one as a second car.Meanwhile, I keep waiting for Honda to come up with a replacement for the Element. That is to say, something a little more industrial-strength than the CR-V.If they don't do that, my next car is probably an AWD CR-V.
there is only one clear path and it's paved with bacon.

My Flickr Weighs a Ton

Car buying questions

dontfeartheringo wrote:I am highly debt averse and normally buy cars from owners, paying cash. I'm looking at 2002-2006 models. The last Outback I had got all the way up to 395k before it caught on fire. Pretty great car. My previous explorations of Outbacks of that vintage had them priced way higher than I expected. Today, I find that I'm seeing cars in a very reasonable range. Thanks for the reminder!I'm a Honda guy, and I like the Fit, for what it is, but I wouldn't get one that older than . . . 2007? Whatever year was the "2nd Generation" version which is supposedly much better than the 1st Gen.They used to make an Accord Wagon. I wish they still did. Although it occurs to me that folks may have turned the Accord Wagon into a fetish item. I don't know.Other potential used Hondas - Element (my dad has had one for years and loves it). Or CR-V.Also-ran: Ford Focus wagon (you can probably get one of these for a song). I see them all over town, so they must be somewhat reliable.Good luck!

My Flickr Weighs a Ton

Car buying questions

Gantry!It is my understanding that the snow tires I had put on the Fit are slightly smaller than the standard tires - both in "height" and "width".That is the answer to your question.ALSO: HOLY FUCKING SHIT! THESE FUCKING SNOW TIRES ARE A G.D. REVELATION!Seriously, these snow tires are the jam.I can't overstate it.I was able to extricate myself from a snow-bank today, and also ruled the snow-packed streets of Chicago like a boss.I almost can't overstate how great this has been.It's been so fucking great!

My Flickr Weighs a Ton

Car buying questions

Superking wrote:They used to make an Accord Wagon. I wish they still did.They do, sort of. It's called the Crosstour, is ugly as shit, expensive, and marketed as a crossover.I kinda like my 2012 CR-V (first year of the current redesign). For the money it's a great deal and a reliable car that doesn't completely suck to drive. Yes it looks kinda dumb, but if you squint and look at it from the right angle sometimes it looks kinda cool for a moment! I was really into the idea of a Subaru until I did a price vs. what you get comparison. Honda throws in tons of features at the trim levels but Subaru nickel and dimes you more. Money aside, I'd have gotten an Outback. When I got the CR-V, the Forester was similarly priced to it but not nearly as nice. They've since overhauled the Forester a bit and that is probably closer in quality. The Outback is a bit better than both of them but costs like $4-6k more I think. I also have this weird fascination with the Honda Pilot. It's basically a huge boxy ugly outdated looking thing on an Accord frame. They haven't updated it in god knows how long besides adding updated technology and shit. But whenever they do update it, it's going to look like some big stupid egg probably.

Car buying questions

dontfeartheringo wrote:Wagon advice, PRF?We got a Subaru Forester a couple years ago and love it. In michigan the AWD and high ground clearance is awesome in the winter (especially this one we're in). Good mileage lots of room withouth being awkward and massive. And there is a manual model if you're into that sort of thing.On the recommendation of tmidgett, i used the "fighting chance" method and can't say enough things about it. If you're thinking about buying a NEW car, do this. It's crazy stupid easy and saved me about 3,000 compared to every other "best offer" i got.here:http://www.fightingchance.com/

Car buying questions

tbone wrote:As you may notice, there is a hybrid option for this car. Same highway MPG and only like 4MPG estimated more in the city than the regular gas engine. But way more money. That is pretty dumb!Dumb, indeed. Subaru even flew a bunch of journalists to Iceland to prove its uselessness.