Help me remember... thread

Maurice wrote:Arson Smith wrote:This could be a long shot, but I am trying to remember some rock song (from the 70s, I think?)What I can remember is that there was (at least) one part where the guy was talking a story more than singing... and it had to do with him getting a phone call... or maybe his lady answered the phone first... maybe that was it, like she couldn't understand the person calling, and then handed it off to the guy (or I could even have that part wrong?)Anyhow, the upshot of it was like:"and I knew it was him because of how he could make his guitar talk...or"there's only one person I know that could make their guitar talk like that..."I dunno, something like that, but then, yeah, as you might expect, the other end of the "phone call" was a dude wailing a talkbox, etc... maybe he was calling from jail? Or not? (I don't know!)Anyhow, my Google-fu is weak on this one, and just turns up like bojillions of Framptron hits.I would have heard this in the mid to late 70s (or *maybe* early 80s, but I don't think so...?)DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE? PLEASE HELP.I have a memory of hearing this--not sure when, but I remember thinking, "this is so awful; I can't believe how awful it is...I have to find out who's responsible" and then when it was back-announced...I hate to break it to you...it turned out to be REO Speedwagon. I don't want to YT it and have to listen to it again, but could it be this track? The era fits, and from the description, I think this is the one.We flew into town on SundayHad to find a place by MondayTried Bridgeport and Westport'Til we found a place that we thought would do157 Riverside AvenueSaugatuck River's flowin'Mother nature's colors were showin'So cold, so rainy, we couldn't help feelin' blueNot enough time, too many things to doSo we just sat back and played someWell we met a young girl on Main StreetWanted to pass her byShe was homely, and we were lonelyShe said, "Can I make love to you?"I said, "157 Riverside Avenue"And see she talk like a guitar, she saidOh a fast talkin' womanIt's over, Miss Lena, we're leavingSuch a pleasant stay, I must saySo nice, so easyWe hate to say goodbye to youAt 157 Riverside AvenueI'm gonna take a wild swing and say....no
tocharian wrote:Cheese fries vs nonexistence. Duh.

Arson Smith wrote:This could be a long shot, but I am trying to remember some rock song (from the 70s, I think?)What I can remember is that there was (at least) one part where the guy was talking a story more than singing... and it had to do with him getting a phone call... or maybe his lady answered the phone first... maybe that was it, like she couldn't understand the person calling, and then handed it off to the guy (or I could even have that part wrong?)Anyhow, the upshot of it was like:and I knew it was him because of how he could make his guitar talk...orthere's only one person I know that could make their guitar talk like that...I dunno, something like that, but then, yeah, as you might expect, the other end of the phone call was a dude wailing a talkbox, etc... maybe he was calling from jail? Or not? (I don't know!)Anyhow, my Google-fu is weak on this one, and just turns up like bojillions of Framptron hits.I would have heard this in the mid to late 70s (or *maybe* early 80s, but I don't think so...?)DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE? PLEASE HELP.I have a memory of hearing this--not sure when, but I remember thinking, this is so awful; I can't believe how awful it is...I have to find out who's responsible and then when it was back-announced...I hate to break it to you...it turned out to be REO Speedwagon. I don't want to YT it and have to listen to it again, but could it be this track? The era fits, and from the description, I think this is the one.
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/

Wikipedia page wrote:The song is a standard at the band's live performances, as it has been for many years. Where the original studio version clocked in at only 3:57, live performances include a bass solo in addition to the song's piano and guitar solos, and an extended interlude where lead vocalist Kevin Cronin tells a story that leads up to a conversation between him and lead guitarist Gary Richrath (later Dave Amato) where the guitarist's side consists of guitar solos while Kevin's side is scat vocals. The version of the song on Live: You Get What You Play For is 7:38 in length. An even longer version (12:22) was included on the compilation album A Decade of Rock and Roll: 1970-1980, and a third live version (with Amato) appears on Arch Allies: Live at Riverport.Also, Wikipedia page wrote:This page has some issues
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/

Maurice wrote:Wikipedia page wrote:The song is a standard at the band's live performances, as it has been for many years. Where the original studio version clocked in at only 3:57, live performances include a bass solo in addition to the song's piano and guitar solos, and an extended interlude where lead vocalist Kevin Cronin tells a story that leads up to a conversation between him and lead guitarist Gary Richrath (later Dave Amato) where the guitarist's side consists of guitar solos while Kevin's side is scat vocals. The version of the song on Live: You Get What You Play For is 7:38 in length. An even longer version (12:22) was included on the compilation album A Decade of Rock and Roll: 1970-1980, and a third live version (with Amato) appears on Arch Allies: Live at Riverport.Also, Wikipedia page wrote:This page has some issuesI would bet $5 that the track Arson is thinking of is this one. Start around 4:15 - phpBB [media]

This was a short film aired by HBO in the late, late 80s or early 90s meant to scare people into properly storing their hand guns so kids would not play with them. Something along the lines of "The Lonely Death of..." The climatic accidental shooting had brain matter flying out like it was Full Metal Jacket. The grandmother found the kid... Disturbed the shit out of me at time. Probably would still disturb me...

Only bumping this because it ended up at the end of the line.atomjackfuser wrote:This was a short film aired by HBO in the late, late 80s or early 90s meant to scare people into properly storing their hand guns so kids would not play with them. Something along the lines of "The Lonely Death of..." The climatic accidental shooting had brain matter flying out like it was Full Metal Jacket. The grandmother found the kid... Disturbed the shit out of me at time. Probably would still disturb me...

Awesome\_Komodo wrote:I have a MP3 copy of this band called Meringue's album called Grandma's Super Market House and I have no clue as to how I obtained this. It's like non-bad Zappa meets King Crimson. Anyone know how or why I have this?No but I've considering this type of situation as a legitimate marketing plan for a band. Get your album onto peoples computers in weird places without them realizing it. Dunno how it's really done, also probably illegal.p.s. is it any good?

Okay, this is a strange one..Andy Roddick US Open commercial. Totally high drama. He was in a car with some guy, driving through New York or something, and the guy basically says, we (the United States) are pulling for you, or, counting on you, or something to that effect.I have no idea why this has stayed with me; was never a big Roddick fan or anything. Haven't searched exhaustively yet or posted on tennis forums, but am hoping not to have to resort to that. But I need to know I didn't imagine it. Would also like to see a clip of it.I swear to god also that it was scored with a piano version of John Parr's The Best (A Man Can Get)wtf