Wanted: Advice on Buying a Van

Ben Abraham wrote:Bumping this thread for advice. My band and another band are looking to buy a van together. I have no idea or experience in this. We've been debating between passenger vans and cargo vans (which we would put a bench seat in after we get it. Cargo vans would be more secure at the expense of comfort, passenger vans could be effective but it might be weird to park it in a city near a venue wear it might be vulnerable to smash and grabs and such. Any thoughts on this?Cargo vans can be depressing if you're on a long drive and can't see out of the sides.If you can get a passenger van with dark tinted windows, that's what I would recommend.You can build a loft into the back to cover up the gear.I second never leaving it loaded up if you can see stuff in it. And never leaving it loaded up overnight in any case. We would do both of those things occasionally, but only in either a) very busy places during the day or b) very secluded places at night, and only if we could park it in such a way that made it extremely difficult to get in the back/sides. And regardless, all guitars and anything irreplaceable tended to go inside w/us.No trailers--tip-off to thieves, easy to steal. No stickers. And I'd recommend using a Club and also putting in a kill switch. A momentary toggle--hidden on the driver's seat down by your left calf, say--that you have to hold in place while you turn the ignition key to start the car. Make the van as hard to break into or steal as possible, both outwardly and in terms of hidden features.Overall, still stand by earlier rec of Dodge Rams.

tmidgett wrote:Ben Abraham wrote:Bumping this thread for advice. My band and another band are looking to buy a van together. I have no idea or experience in this. We've been debating between passenger vans and cargo vans (which we would put a bench seat in after we get it. Cargo vans would be more secure at the expense of comfort, passenger vans could be effective but it might be weird to park it in a city near a venue wear it might be vulnerable to smash and grabs and such. Any thoughts on this?Cargo vans can be depressing if you're on a long drive and can't see out of the sides.If you can get a passenger van with dark tinted windows, that's what I would recommend.You can build a loft into the back to cover up the gear.I second never leaving it loaded up if you can see stuff in it. And never leaving it loaded up overnight in any case. We would do both of those things occasionally, but only in either a) very busy places during the day or b) very secluded places at night, and only if we could park it in such a way that made it extremely difficult to get in the back/sides. And regardless, all guitars and anything irreplaceable tended to go inside w/us.No trailers--tip-off to thieves, easy to steal. No stickers. And I'd recommend using a Club and also putting in a kill switch. A momentary toggle--hidden on the driver's seat down by your left calf, say--that you have to hold in place while you turn the ignition key to start the car. Make the van as hard to break into or steal as possible, both outwardly and in terms of hidden features.Overall, still stand by earlier rec of Dodge Rams.Thanks a lot, Tim.

I would buy a cargo van before a passenger van, if I had my druthers, but only you can know how much you will hate sitting in the back seat and not being able to see out the sides. you should budget some money for a partition or a cage between the passenger area and the cargo area - both for security and safety. see this thread for lots of discussion of van partitions or lofts. http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61564&p=1616600&hilit=partition+van#p1616541

japmn wrote:motorbike guy wrote:you should budget some money for a partition or a cage between the passenger area and the cargo area - both for security and safety. Install some E-Track Rail and get a few quality straps as well. Stuff that doesn't move doesn't break. It's why you strap in to a car seat too.This is great! We were planning on doing a partition or ratchet straps. Did you have a mechanic or a body shop install the e-track rails or can you install them yourself?