The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

gonzochicago wrote:The risk is, from my experience, one of the first things you learn about.gonzochicago wrote:This thread is mostly for me to track my progress over time, as I'm just now beginning.gonzochicago wrote:I could write pages about what I've learned in merely a week...As per the rest of your post...I love your drive and dedication in all of your ventures in life, and I know nobody is going to talk you out of anything, but it seems to me that you're engaging in exactly the sort of hubris that brings so many down. Sure, there have been unpredictable events in the past, but those are in the past and now everything is slightly different so it can't happen again. The real subtext here is that BITCOIN IS WORTH $4500 AND SURELY THAT'S ONLY GOING TO GO UP RIGHT?!?! RIGHT?!?!This is just Beanie Babies again. Or tulips. Or pet rocks. This isn't a sure thing or even a stable market.In some perverse way, I love the fact that you're going to do your own thing here, regardless of what anyone says, because you're driven by your passions. I like that. Hopefully you get lucky and fund all of your future film ventures off of this. But if that happens, don't assume it's anything but luck.

I think my biggest hesitation around all of this is that there are so many of these crypto-currencies. I can definitely see more people going to a currency that is more global/unaffected by governments, and I think one of them will eventually take off, but who knows what it will be. I can't imagine Bitcoin is the best designed one of them all. Sure, Napster was great at first, and then it was quickly replaced by better things...

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Pretty sure the other thread contains an exhaustive list of reasons why this is a not great sort of high risk gambling with a massive number of external risks (robbery, failing exchanges, inevitable regulation (esp in China)), but you know... create a new thread because you want to ignore all of that and there's no way the value is going to crash again, right?The risk is, from my experience, one of the first things you learn about. The risk of robbery is now quite low, as there's solid places to put everything, where there wasn't before. Failing exchanges aren't very common if you just do your research beforehand. Even so, things are changing fast, and it's getting much easier to keep things safe, and more user friendly.This is no longer about a single Bitcoin and thousands of dollars. One can put, and spread out, any numbers of dollars across many platforms, and that's its biggest advantage now.Of course there's gamble and risk involved. Shit happens to even the most experienced users.I still think it's absolutely worth poking at, even lightly.

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:gonzochicago wrote:The risk is, from my experience, one of the first things you learn about.gonzochicago wrote:This thread is mostly for me to track my progress over time, as I'm just now beginning.gonzochicago wrote:I could write pages about what I've learned in merely a week...As per the rest of your post...I love your drive and dedication in all of your ventures in life, and I know nobody is going to talk you out of anything, but it seems to me that you're engaging in exactly the sort of hubris that brings so many down. Sure, there have been unpredictable events in the past, but those are in the past and now everything is slightly different so it can't happen again. The real subtext here is that BITCOIN IS WORTH $4500 AND SURELY THAT'S ONLY GOING TO GO UP RIGHT?!?! RIGHT?!?!This is just Beanie Babies again. Or tulips. Or pet rocks. This isn't a sure thing or even a stable market.In some perverse way, I love the fact that you're going to do your own thing here, regardless of what anyone says, because you're driven by your passions. I like that. Hopefully you get lucky and fund all of your future film ventures off of this. But if that happens, don't assume it's anything but luck.I appreciate your position, I really do, and thanks for the perverse bits of confidence!However, I think you are wrong on many accounts. I'll eat my hat in the years to come if it goes under.Time certainly will tell....but let me touch on just a little of why I think that way.First, just because I'm only beginning in the actual platforms, doesn't mean I haven't been watching. I've watched as a few core friends have built this from the ground up, and kicked myself every few months for not doing the same.Living in China, I see the reality of the mobile payments industry every day. Wechat and Alipay have taken over slowly but surely over the last few years, and that shit is not going away. It's my thought that not only will America and other areas of the world eventually catch on to this, but it feels like a given it'll be alongside another way of doing things, monetarily. I think the internet has long dreamed of coupling its power with saying fuck you to whoever we can, and money / big banks were merely a dream to do just that, years ago. Now it's a reality, and it's only just beginning.Regulations are going to come in hard, and it may tank everything. I highly doubt it though.Bitcoin has been going for 10 years, but only in the last year or two has it gained any sort of notoriety. The fact is, the majority still have no idea what the hell this is. That's huge.I think, in 10 years, we will all be kicking ourselves once again having doubted this industry. Now that I'm in, I'm going to stay in for at least 1 year, and see where it leads me. I'll update my progress along the way.Like I said, it's not just Bitcoin, and I don't think it's purely luck any longer. People have swapped day-trading the stock market, to go all in on this, due to the smaller ICO's. Chart-reading tools are getting better and better, and the reality is, one can track this stuff, and the dips + selling points are insane if you can figure out how it works. That's one of my goals, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough. We'll see. Each market is currently wrapping its own block-chain network, and dozens of off-shoots are spawning from this, as well as new social media platforms like Steemit (Crypto's Reddit), ways to help communities, etc. New East Asia / S.E.A. based firms pop up each month. The user-base is going to get astounding, especially as income grows here. We're talking about ICO Alt-Coins that come in at .005 cents and rise to $50 in a matter of weeks. That's insane, and a small investment, even if luck at first, could pay off crazily.It's a long story.However, I think of one were to start with a small investment like I am, a few hundred bucks they wouldn't miss too terribly, and then only re-invest profits, you could angle yourself as having nothing to lose.Say you turn even $200 profit in 6 months. You play the long-game, reinvest only that profit, and grow from there. Tinker with small ICO's or $1 coins. Sure, some of this is penny-stock trading on a speedball. However, if / when it grows, you could take higher risks. Surely, some will pay off, and some won't, but you're then purely playing with all-in money at that point, and the worst case is, you start over.As I said, time will tell, and I'll certainly keep you updated. Watch my rise and / or fall in real time. The proof will be in the puddin' I suppose.

We are all but ethereal bits floating in space.I will try and ride a line of telling you what I've done, but not giving out specific information such as what prices I bought things at, and where I stand to a dollar amount.My beginnings: I forgot I had a few Nintendo stocks laying around, and there were actually gains on them since I purchased them, so I sold them.This gives me about $300 capital of fuck it money to begin with. Good start, so let's roll the dice.My beginning plan it to buy a few well-known things and take a risk on them long term, sell when my profit doubles. I am coupling this with a couple $20 gambles on very cheap coins, in the hope of 5X - 10X returns. Only profits will be re-invested, aside from my base.First, I'm betting on China. This is a long-term bet. Had a friend purchase me 4 NEO coins. Will look into the same amount of this companies companion coin GAS this Friday when my first trade is locked and I'm ready to hit the exchanges. Looking into a Chinese ICO that launches in October. I bought a few Litecoins for the hell of it.Looking into .05 cent (or under) coins for Friday as well. I missed the boat with Monero, which now sits at $100 per coin as of today. Ugh. Will likely buy on a few on a dip if it goes to $10, as it has a strong community behind it.Siacoin seems to be a good one people are gambling on. At .006 cents, if it breaks $1, could be huge. Planning my week-end moves now, but I think this is a good toe in the water.