current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning on.

C8F995B6-FD67-4518-8104-7FD1F556839D.jpeg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

So, I did a thing. This is/was a Squier Bullet Mustang souped up with: ¢ Two Humbucker-sized P-90s ¢ Wilkinson Half-Tele Bridge ¢ Custom b/w/b pickguard cut by PickguardianI soldered it all together so it s an absolute miracle that it passes sound. In any case in the limited time I ve had with it, it s incredible. I strung it up with .11-.54 strings so it fights me back a little bit when I wail on it, which I m not super used to but I m growing to like.

kazoozak wrote:C8F995B6-FD67-4518-8104-7FD1F556839D.jpegSo, I did a thing. This is/was a Squier Bullet Mustang souped up with: ¢ Two Humbucker-sized P-90s ¢ Wilkinson Half-Tele Bridge ¢ Custom b/w/b pickguard cut by PickguardianI soldered it all together so it s an absolute miracle that it passes sound. In any case in the limited time I ve had with it, it s incredible. I strung it up with .11-.54 strings so it fights me back a little bit when I wail on it, which I m not super used to but I m growing to like.That looks fucking sick. Heavy strings on everything forever.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.

I built this over the past couple weeks. 1964 Fender Musicmaster II body, 2016 Fender Duo-Sonic neck, period correct Musicmaster bridge with a couple saddles swapped from a Squier Duo-Sonic bridge. Everything else was stuff I had laying around. No idea where that pickup came from, I've had it forever. I did some research before I popped it in and it turns out to be an old Bill Lawrence L250. A stacked humbucker ended up being perfect for this; as soon as I saw the paint job I knew the pickguard was going to be clear, so there's no shielding whatsoever and for a 13k output there is just barely perceptible hum. I had a kill switch in there, but it was just a big cheap switch from a hardware store and it was really noisy, so it went. I haven't put it on a scale, but this thing is so light. It's my first actual Fender brand anything, the neck is different from what I'm used to, but very comfy. Intonation was easier than I thought it would be. This was a really fun project and I'm working on a bass next.

japmn wrote:Mine are the GFS, which I hear people don't really like, but they sound pretty good to me. They were cheap and it had some really shitty generic Humbuckers in there before I traded them out. I don't really like HB at all so they had to go.I bought a friend the GFS humbucker sized P90 set as a gift for his Gibson SG. He liked the pickups much better than whatever stock humbuckers come in the Faded model. He s a huge Richard Bishop fan, and I figured they d be a better match for that type of clean electric guitar and it was.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I bought a friend the GFS humbucker sized P90 set as a gift for his Gibson SG. He liked the pickups much better than whatever stock humbuckers come in the Faded model. He s a huge Richard Bishop fan, and I figured they d be a better match for that type of clean electric guitar and it was.I bought the "Least Metal" Slick(as in "Earl", GFS probably makes them) Humbucker set when we stuck the nicer WCR set that had been in my Ibanez Studio into my brother's Ibanez Les Paul copy. In the Studio, they sound just fine for the money. What did actually get a "Hey, what's with that pickup?" was a Manlius P90(The "Howlin' Goat?) humbucker-sized pickup. It's in another Les Paul copy. A couple of folks have mentioned that one.

I just bought this on ebay:Thing is, this was not what was pictured in the seller's listing. That unit was a similar cop shop recording setup with a 5 band eq and some other controls/circuitry. When I contacted the seller to let him know about the mistake, he refunded all but $9 of what I paid and told me to keep it. Sweet! The only problem that I see with the tape deck is that the door was bent, so the latch didn't work properly. Not a big deal, since the door doesn't hold or brace the tapes in any way. Anyway, the Marantz is going to be a tape echo. There's some great information on converting these, and the demos I've heard sound pretty good. Should be a fairly easy project. I'm just trying to decide if I should make a breakout box, or cram the extra circuitry into the battery compartment (which looks brand new inside since it has never been powered by batteries).The plastic case is nice and sturdy. I'm thinking about building a spring reverb into it.