Tech Podcasts

Song Exploder can be pretty good in that vein. A lot of talk about how songs came together, what was highlighted in the mix and why, what got left on the cutting room floor. Also, talk about songwriting and inspiration. Not 100% tech nerd, but good for recording folks. Sound Opinions is more rock crit than tech nerd, but it can have interesting focus on songs and albums. Recording Studio Rockstars has been going strong for a while and definitely focuses on engineers and producers more than musicians. There was another one I liked alot that was short run from the drummer for Galaxie 500. It was a Radiotopia presentation, so you might be able to find the old episodes on their site. It only ran for a few episodes, maybe 5 or 6.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Tech Podcasts

There are plenty of podcasts that interview musicians, but are there any that approach that world from a slightly nerdier angle? I don t think that the Trap Set would count here since he pretty much avoids talk of equipment or technique or recording. The Fretboard Journal podcast is alright, though it s so clearly aimed at a certain audience that there aren t very many episodes that feature builders or musicians that interest me. I ve encountered a few (other podcasts) that were sort of similar - none that I would really listen to on a regular basis at all. Maybe people could post the cool episodes they happen upon out in the wild.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Tech Podcasts

Tapeop started doing podcasts. If you're a member they email them out once ever couple months.Mostly veteran producer/engineers who've worked with big acts. Glyn Johns, Bob Clearmountain, those types of folks.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

Tech Podcasts

I like this Skip Simmons guy - a vintage Fender repair affiicianado that reports to have repaired thousands of old amps. He doesn t mind throwing shade on certain builders and seems eccentric enough to be entertaining. He doesn t call any forums out specifically but it seems like he hates The Gear Page, which should be a requirement for everyone who has any business in front of a microphone. The title is pretty clickbaity, but I do think there is some good advice in there. Most importantly, he s suspicious about the boutique craze and is pretty realistic about the massive amount of grift that happens in that market, so you won t hear him promising the sound of ˜angels singing on the treble strings or any such bullshit. His fees seem really reasonable, which I think says a lot, considering that a lot of these paypigs are suspicious of any amp they don t have to pay a shit load for. The Truth About Vintage Amps
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Tech Podcasts

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I like this Skip Simmons guy - a vintage Fender repair affiicianado that reports to have repaired thousands of old amps. He doesn t mind throwing shade on certain builders and seems eccentric enough to be entertaining. He doesn t call any forums out specifically but it seems like he hates The Gear Page, which should be a requirement for everyone who has any business in front of a microphone. The title is pretty clickbaity, but I do think there is some good advice in there. Most importantly, he s suspicious about the boutique craze and is pretty realistic about the massive amount of grift that happens in that market, so you won t hear him promising the sound of ˜angels singing on the treble strings or any such bullshit. His fees seem really reasonable, which I think says a lot, considering that a lot of these paypigs are suspicious of any amp they don t have to pay a shit load for. The Truth About Vintage AmpsThanks, sounds like what I want! Will give a listen on today's commute home.
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets