RIP

Moderator: Greg

RIP

Hal Blainehttps://variety.com/2019/music/news/hal-blaine-studio-drummer-dies-at-90-1203160849Blaine appeared on more than 35,000 recordings, including some 6,000 singles.He was featured on the majority of Phil Spector s œWall of Sound productions, including the Ronettes œBe My Baby, which featured perhaps the most indelible drum introduction in rock ˜n roll history. He also appeared on many of the Beach Boys best-known records (standing in for the L.A. band s Dennis Wilson), including the classic 1966 album œPet Sounds and the experimental single from that same year, œGood Vibrations. Blaine appeared on such No. 1 hits as the Crystals œHe s a Rebel, the Byrds œMr. Tambourine Man, Frank Sinatra s œStrangers in the Night, Simon & Garfunkel s œMrs. Robinson and œBridge Over Troubled Water, the 5th Dimension s œAquarius/Let the Sunshine In, the Carpenters œClose to You and Barbra Streisand s œThe Way We Were. The most adaptable of studio percussionists, he also cut dates such notables as Elvis Presley (on both record and movie dates), Sam Cooke, Dean Martin, Jan & Dean, Johnny Rivers, the Monkees, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Nancy Sinatra, the Mamas and the Papas, Cher, John Denver and Steely Dan.In the end it may be easier to list the musicians he didn t support during his years of work during the heyday of such Hollywood studios as Capitol, Gold Star, United, Western and RCA. His work also encompassed movie soundtracks and TV scores and themes.
Rick Reuben wrote:Edit those words out or I'm contacting a moderator.

RIP

Yesterday I was in the dentist's chair, and America's Ventura Highway came on, and I was thinking about Hal Blaine.Today someone told me he died. Huh?! RIP awesome drummer.He started using timbales instead of toms, then custom made a fiberglass kit out of single headed concert toms. Ludwig took his idea but used wood and called it the Octaplus. Hal could have made a mint even if they gave him a small amount for each kit sold, but he just said "Ok, that sounds like a good idea.." They may have given him a complimentary drum set.Studio geeks went nut's searching down blue sparkle Ludwig kits, too.."Why does it have to be blue?" "That's the color of Hal's kit! They have a different sound!" Ha, ok...This is actually a good group of songs he played on.https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/arts ... songs.html