Electrical Guitar Company

Riff Magnum wrote:I assumed my tech would have to cut a new nut and move the bridge saddles. I just see all these heavy bands playing "regular" guitars in dropped tunings and it sounds great but any time i've ever tried it, it sounds super floppy. Dude from Mutoid Man comes to mind immediately.I made a TB Standard into a baritone tuned to A (the A on a bass) and played it for like ten years. Not metal, and I really wanted low end, so I used an 0.80 for the low A I think. The low A was fidgeted with considerably to get it intonated up and down the neck. Always very slightly wonky on that one string. Had to fret lightly and bend those notes a tiny bit on certain parts. But it was a pretty clean sound and had to work as bass in that implementation.Stephen in Sunn plays a Standard tuned to A. Sounds great. He uses flatwounds--only guitar he plays that has them, I think. Dunno why, maybe to keep string noise down?I don't know about Stephen for sure, but Greg in Sunn (also tuned to A, also regular scale length) uses a pretty heavy pick but doesn't play super hard most of the time. He told me he hasn't changed his strings on his LP gold top for a year...sounds great.I tuned my Wedge bass down for Sunn to A E A D, with the lower A an octave below the A string on a regular bass. It's just a metal 5-string without the deedly string basically. And whatever the scale length is, it's pretty normal. The fattest string is 0.140. Plays in tune, sounds sweet, but I got to work the shit out of that one string when I replace it--stretch it forever, then seat it real good by pushing down on it right in front of the bridge saddle, which is temporarily a barrel type to get the intonation right. Had to drill out the hole for the string a tiny bit too (shh don't tell anyone).

tmidgett wrote:Riff Magnum wrote:I assumed my tech would have to cut a new nut and move the bridge saddles. I just see all these heavy bands playing "regular" guitars in dropped tunings and it sounds great but any time i've ever tried it, it sounds super floppy. Dude from Mutoid Man comes to mind immediately.I made a TB Standard into a baritone tuned to A (the A on a bass) and played it for like ten years. Not metal, and I really wanted low end, so I used an 0.80 for the low A I think. The low A was fidgeted with considerably to get it intonated up and down the neck. Always very slightly wonky on that one string. Had to fret lightly and bend those notes a tiny bit on certain parts. But it was a pretty clean sound and had to work as bass in that implementation.Stephen in Sunn plays a Standard tuned to A. Sounds great. He uses flatwounds--only guitar he plays that has them, I think. Dunno why, maybe to keep string noise down?I don't know about Stephen for sure, but Greg in Sunn (also tuned to A, also regular scale length) uses a pretty heavy pick but doesn't play super hard most of the time. He told me he hasn't changed his strings on his LP gold top for a year...sounds great.I tuned my Wedge bass down for Sunn to A E A D, with the lower A an octave below the A string on a regular bass. It's just a metal 5-string without the deedly string basically. And whatever the scale length is, it's pretty normal. The fattest string is 0.140. Plays in tune, sounds sweet, but I got to work the shit out of that one string when I replace it--stretch it forever, then seat it real good by pushing down on it right in front of the bridge saddle, which is temporarily a barrel type to get the intonation right. Had to drill out the hole for the string a tiny bit too (shh don't tell anyone).What gauges were you using tuning down to A?

tmidgett wrote:Riff Magnum wrote:tmidgett wrote:Riff Magnum wrote:I assumed my tech would have to cut a new nut and move the bridge saddles. I just see all these heavy bands playing regular guitars in dropped tunings and it sounds great but any time i've ever tried it, it sounds super floppy. Dude from Mutoid Man comes to mind immediately.I made a TB Standard into a baritone tuned to A (the A on a bass) and played it for like ten years. Not metal, and I really wanted low end, so I used an 0.80 for the low A I think. The low A was fidgeted with considerably to get it intonated up and down the neck. Always very slightly wonky on that one string. Had to fret lightly and bend those notes a tiny bit on certain parts. But it was a pretty clean sound and had to work as bass in that implementation.Stephen in Sunn plays a Standard tuned to A. Sounds great. He uses flatwounds--only guitar he plays that has them, I think. Dunno why, maybe to keep string noise down?I don't know about Stephen for sure, but Greg in Sunn (also tuned to A, also regular scale length) uses a pretty heavy pick but doesn't play super hard most of the time. He told me he hasn't changed his strings on his LP gold top for a year...sounds great.I tuned my Wedge bass down for Sunn to A E A D, with the lower A an octave below the A string on a regular bass. It's just a metal 5-string without the deedly string basically. And whatever the scale length is, it's pretty normal. The fattest string is 0.140. Plays in tune, sounds sweet, but I got to work the shit out of that one string when I replace it--stretch it forever, then seat it real good by pushing down on it right in front of the bridge saddle, which is temporarily a barrel type to get the intonation right. Had to drill out the hole for the string a tiny bit too (shh don't tell anyone).What gauges were you using tuning down to A?For bari? I think I went to 0.95 on the A. And i think the rest were the bottom 5 strings in the LaBella bari set.But you could just do the LaBella bari set. It would be a little floppier but totally good and preferable for a lot of people.Just strings sells an Ernie Ball .90 guitar string but you may have to slightly drill out the hole as Tim mentioned.

Riff Magnum wrote:tmidgett wrote:Riff Magnum wrote:I assumed my tech would have to cut a new nut and move the bridge saddles. I just see all these heavy bands playing "regular" guitars in dropped tunings and it sounds great but any time i've ever tried it, it sounds super floppy. Dude from Mutoid Man comes to mind immediately.I made a TB Standard into a baritone tuned to A (the A on a bass) and played it for like ten years. Not metal, and I really wanted low end, so I used an 0.80 for the low A I think. The low A was fidgeted with considerably to get it intonated up and down the neck. Always very slightly wonky on that one string. Had to fret lightly and bend those notes a tiny bit on certain parts. But it was a pretty clean sound and had to work as bass in that implementation.Stephen in Sunn plays a Standard tuned to A. Sounds great. He uses flatwounds--only guitar he plays that has them, I think. Dunno why, maybe to keep string noise down?I don't know about Stephen for sure, but Greg in Sunn (also tuned to A, also regular scale length) uses a pretty heavy pick but doesn't play super hard most of the time. He told me he hasn't changed his strings on his LP gold top for a year...sounds great.I tuned my Wedge bass down for Sunn to A E A D, with the lower A an octave below the A string on a regular bass. It's just a metal 5-string without the deedly string basically. And whatever the scale length is, it's pretty normal. The fattest string is 0.140. Plays in tune, sounds sweet, but I got to work the shit out of that one string when I replace it--stretch it forever, then seat it real good by pushing down on it right in front of the bridge saddle, which is temporarily a barrel type to get the intonation right. Had to drill out the hole for the string a tiny bit too (shh don't tell anyone).What gauges were you using tuning down to A?For bari? I think I went to 0.95 on the A. And i think the rest were the bottom 5 strings in the LaBella bari set.But you could just do the LaBella bari set. It would be a little floppier but totally good and preferable for a lot of people.

tallchris wrote:They're pausing new orders in a few days to get the new shop set up and work through the backlog:Having now relocated the business from Pensacola, Florida to Birmingham, Alabama, we here at EGC want to let you know how this move will affect you, as well as our day-to-day and long-term operations.Beginning April 26th, we will cease providing quotes (or accepting deposits) for any new orders. If you have been waiting to place an order for a customized EGC instrument, next Friday will be your last chance to do so in the foreseeable future. During this time, our main priority will be to complete all outstanding orders as efficiently as possible. We will also continue to offer ready-made instruments and bolt-on necks for purchase.Once all of our existing orders are fulfilled, and when we are again ready to accept new requests, we will also be launching a new ordering system. EGC is proud to be a small, musician-centered business, producing the highest quality custom musical instruments and instrument parts without compromising the standards now synonymous with our company. Our primary focus in altering our current ordering and production system will be to improve our communication while also addressing feedback regarding build times.We remain grateful for your support and patience through the years, most especially during these times of transition and growth.Woo, just made it in!

They're pausing new orders in a few days to get the new shop set up and work through the backlog:Having now relocated the business from Pensacola, Florida to Birmingham, Alabama, we here at EGC want to let you know how this move will affect you, as well as our day-to-day and long-term operations.Beginning April 26th, we will cease providing quotes (or accepting deposits) for any new orders. If you have been waiting to place an order for a customized EGC instrument, next Friday will be your last chance to do so in the foreseeable future. During this time, our main priority will be to complete all outstanding orders as efficiently as possible. We will also continue to offer ready-made instruments and bolt-on necks for purchase.Once all of our existing orders are fulfilled, and when we are again ready to accept new requests, we will also be launching a new ordering system. EGC is proud to be a small, musician-centered business, producing the highest quality custom musical instruments and instrument parts without compromising the standards now synonymous with our company. Our primary focus in altering our current ordering and production system will be to improve our communication while also addressing feedback regarding build times.We remain grateful for your support and patience through the years, most especially during these times of transition and growth.
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets