Marshall 50 watt Head. Am I Over Thinking This?

So, I got it in my craw to get a 50 watt Marshall JMP (2204). I like how it looks, I like how it sounds, and a lot of bands I like use it. I am finding though I can get vertical input 50 watt JCM 800s (1984 or so) for a few hundred less. From my understanding they are very very similar? I feel like the JMPs seem to be a little more bassy to my ears?Then there is this one on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/24106430-marsha ... -watt-1975That's a 1987, right? I have never used a four holer, but seems cool?I have listened to like a zillion youtube clips and spent hours reading on forums and I feel like I have just confused myself. I need to cure this Marshall fever I have.

I've owned a '82 JCM800 2204 and still own a '79 JMP 2204. They sounded more or less the same, and I think the JCM800 having 6550s and the JMP having EL34s made a bigger difference when I was driving them hard.There's a more significant difference between the JMP 2203 and vertical input JCM800 2203s and the later horizontal input JCM800 2203s when they started reducing the number of caps. But hey, both Ian Mackaye and John Reis used horizontal input 2203s and they sound fucking rad, so what do I know????
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets

I've owned a few of these 50 watters master volume with this circuit, in this order: vertical input JCM 2204, vertical input JCM 4104, and a JMP. I've also played through two horizontal input 2204.Here are some facts: They all use the same PCB and are technically the same circuit. The transformers changed during this time and the cap types changed. There have been a few cap value changes as well. Some of the JMPs have slightly lower plate voltages. Here is my opinion: I think the JMPs sound a little less bright and a little looser. The horizontals sound the loudest to me and are also the brightest. I had to clip the bright cap in all of the JCMs. My JMP I run with the treble and presence all the way off and it sounds fantastic to me.I love the look of the JMP the best and it weighs a little less. BUT, I only have one because it fell in my lap for the same price as a JCM. If I was looking for one, I'd personally get whichever one I could find cheapest. The sound differences are NOT night and day. In fact, a retube and bias would probably make up more of a difference than the cap/transformer differences. You're probably going to want to clip that bright cap though. Especially if you use single coils and the HIGH input. Maybe not if you like humbuckers and the low input. Also - 6550s are brighter than EL34s in this circuit.Speakers make a HUGE difference. Excellent advice. No way would I run a 4x12 with Vintage 30s with this amp. Would be brutally piercing.Here's the Tommy setting with the bright cap and single coils: 0 - 4 - 6 - 0 - 6 - 5 - HIGH input.

I remember the bright cap mod having a significant impact on the 100 watt JCM800 1959/plexi I had (later owned by Jeff, now owned by Trey). That amp was particularly shrill, even with the treble and presence rolled all the way off. Once James and I snipped the bright cap it became much more usable. This amp didn't have a master volume, so that should probably be taken into account.Never did this on the 2204s I've owned, but I do generally tend to roll off most of the treble with single coils.
Pure L wrote:I get shocked whenever I use my table saw while barefooted.

I Made Out With You Before You Were Cool
Don't Sit On The Pickets

owen wrote:Then there is this one on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/24106430-marsha ... -watt-1975That's a 1987, right? I have never used a four holer, but seems cool?I have listened to like a zillion youtube clips and spent hours reading on forums and I feel like I have just confused myself. I need to cure this Marshall fever I have.I own a 50 watt 1987. I think one benefit you get from a four-holer is you can use both channels (with a jumper cable) to get the best of both worlds. I've played a friend's 1959 Super Lead (100 watt) a few times and I have to say that I think it's my preferred Marshall head now.