Re: What's now in your hi-fi?

enframed wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 am
Isadore Nabi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 am
This is what I do; it also requires turning the master volume on my integrated all the way down so it doesn't audibly drive the speakers while I'm listening to headphones. That doesn't help FM enframed, but if you haven't pulled the trigger on the Schiit yet I can recommend this opinionated headphone amp. I'm not an "objective audio" purist in general, but the designer's anti-snake oil crusade seems justified for such a simple piece of electronics. It sounds great to me, miles better than my NAD C352's headphone jack. Only has RCA inputs, but that's fine if you're splitting a phono stage line out.
Could I use this as just a headphone amp?
You mean instead of splitting the phono output and running one set of RCAs to your integrated as well? Yes. I get the impression that's what many users of headphone amps do -- i.e., "cans" are their primary or only speakers. The tape loop thing seems like a hack, but it works (if your amp has a tape loop).
cakes wrote:- NAD 3020
Sweet! This was my first proper "hi-fi" amplifier. Gave many years of punching above its weight until the switches started getting flaky and I upgraded to the C352.

Isadore Nabi wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Isadore Nabi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 am
This is what I do; it also requires turning the master volume on my integrated all the way down so it doesn't audibly drive the speakers while I'm listening to headphones. That doesn't help FM enframed, but if you haven't pulled the trigger on the Schiit yet I can recommend this opinionated headphone amp. I'm not an "objective audio" purist in general, but the designer's anti-snake oil crusade seems justified for such a simple piece of electronics. It sounds great to me, miles better than my NAD C352's headphone jack. Only has RCA inputs, but that's fine if you're splitting a phono stage line out.
You mean instead of splitting the phono output and running one set of RCAs to your integrated as well? Yes. I get the impression that's what many users of headphone amps do -- i.e., "cans" are their primary or only speakers. The tape loop thing seems like a hack, but it works (if your amp has a tape loop).
I want to use my integrated amp with the speakers and the headphone amp with the headphones. I want to split the signal.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm

I want to use my integrated amp with the speakers and the headphone amp with the headphones. I want to split the signal.
In that case I think you want to do what seby suggested and split the line out from the phono stage, running one set of RCAs to the headphone amp and the other to the integrated. I've never done this myself and I'm not sure of the implications for sound quality, but if your amp doesn't have a tape loop then I don't know another way. (Unless I'm still missing your question, sorry!)

Actually I should have read my own link, because it seems the JDS Labs build of the O2 headphone amp (which I have) has been superseded by the much sexier-looking Atom Amp. Unlike the former, this one has RCA outputs -- but apparently they output from the preamp section, so could only be sent to powered speakers. (Does anyone actually use powered speakers in their hi-fi?) What I'd like is just a pass-through so the line-level signal could be sent to the integrated or preamp used to drive the speakers.

Isadore Nabi wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 pm
enframed wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm

In that case I think you want to do what seby suggested and split the line out from the phono stage, running one set of RCAs to the headphone amp and the other to the integrated. I've never done this myself and I'm not sure of the implications for sound quality, but if your amp doesn't have a tape loop then I don't know another way. (Unless I'm still missing your question, sorry!)
I would try the splitter cable first and see if you notice any drop in sound coming through your hifi via the phono channel. If so, then there are plenty of little splitter boxes out there with buffers : )
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

seby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:06 am
LBx wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am Joining the NAD club with FM seby:

- tuned up NAD 3155 integrated
- Marantz 5001 I've had for like 15 years
- heavy plinth Lenco L75 with a Jelco 250 / JAC 501 & Ortofon Blue (swapping in a Bronze when funds allow it)
- front ported Energy 22's

The NAD has a quite a bit of hum to it though. Operational or self noise, not coming thru the speakers or anything or from another connected piece of gear. Do I have the two prong swapped out for a three or grab a HumX or...?
Woah the 3155's were made in Japan I think? Solid amp. Ja, it's going to hum. Thats the output transformer saying his. My 3020 says hi too. I am in Oz and nearly everything in earthed (three-prong) here. It's just...NAD hum.... If the hum-floor is below the level at which you listen to music, then I would not worry too much. I am rather fond of my 3020's hum. It's like a gentle subsonic hug
Guess that's a shame and relief to hear. Tricky too google for a concrete answer! Hum is generally below listening level for sure but I'd still love to ace it... Along with the fridge bzzz, the heated floor b.s., the neighours... Ah well.

LBx wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:40 pm
seby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:06 am
LBx wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am Joining the NAD club with FM seby:

- tuned up NAD 3155 integrated
- Marantz 5001 I've had for like 15 years
- heavy plinth Lenco L75 with a Jelco 250 / JAC 501 & Ortofon Blue (swapping in a Bronze when funds allow it)
- front ported Energy 22's

The NAD has a quite a bit of hum to it though. Operational or self noise, not coming thru the speakers or anything or from another connected piece of gear. Do I have the two prong swapped out for a three or grab a HumX or...?
Woah the 3155's were made in Japan I think? Solid amp. Ja, it's going to hum. Thats the output transformer saying his. My 3020 says hi too. I am in Oz and nearly everything in earthed (three-prong) here. It's just...NAD hum.... If the hum-floor is below the level at which you listen to music, then I would not worry too much. I am rather fond of my 3020's hum. It's like a gentle subsonic hug
Guess that's a shame and relief to hear. Tricky too google for a concrete answer! Hum is generally below listening level for sure but I'd still love to ace it... Along with the fridge bzzz, the heated floor b.s., the neighours... Ah well.
My 3020 hum seems to fluctuate a bit from week to week. Sometimes it's silent. Other times I need to not point mics at it if I am recording in the same room (or turn it of whilst I am). Fridge bzzzz is real.
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

I'm interested in what people here think about speaker stands. We have some nice small-ish speakers (ELAC Debut--whatever the cheapest model is) and want them off the bookshelves where they've been living. Commercial speaker stands seem to vary wildly in price and it's unclear to me what's worthwhile for speakers like ours.

Can anyone recommend or warn against any particular model or approach?

thanks!

lotharsandwich wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:05 pm I'm interested in what people here think about speaker stands. We have some nice small-ish speakers (ELAC Debut--whatever the cheapest model is) and want them off the bookshelves where they've been living. Commercial speaker stands seem to vary wildly in price and it's unclear to me what's worthwhile for speakers like ours.

Can anyone recommend or warn against any particular model or approach?

thanks!
There's lots of used one out there, you can save a bundle that way. I have Dynaudio stands (white). You can fill with sand or not (I don't).

These:

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products ... tands-pair

Think I paid $150 used. Love em.

They should be heavy, I know that.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale