Pelicans

Crap
Total votes: 3 (33%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 6 (67%)
Total votes: 9

Re: Avian Shite Head: Pelican

I like them just fine, both the brown and the white. They’ve made quite a comeback along the TX coast over the last 30 years.

No other bird says “I’ll cruise this aerial boulevard at my own damn pace, fuck you very much” quite like the pelican. I can respect that.

The turkey vulture gets my vote for biggest avian shithead, even though it’s not without its virtues.

jason from volo wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:56 am Ok, I guess we're subjecting the pelican to C/NC. I can play.

I love pretty much all seabirds, including pelicans. Every year, I go to the gulf beaches of Florida near St. Petersburg on vacation and make it a point to visit and donate to the Seaside Seabird Sanctuary https://seasideseabirdsanctuary.org/ . And have spent many hours just sitting on the balcony while on vacation watching brown pelicans dive for fish.

You'll never get anything but a NC vote from me for all birds, with maybe exception of the Canada goose. They suck.
Hold on now, just a minute. What about seagulls?

jason from volo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am
biscuitdough wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 am Hold on now, just a minute. What about seagulls?
They provide an essential service: cleaning up after idiots who litter. And also shitting on the heads of random people, hopefully the same ones who littered, but if not, is still amusing.

Also: laughing gulls are very much NOT CRAP.

Laughing-gull.jpg
I suppose the regular herring gulls have indirectly given the world some joy, in the form of the amazing photos of the moments in which they steal someone's food. The fuckers are clearly possessed by evil spirits, though.

Anyway, pelicans are not crap. No argument there.

Gulls. Those assholes can hear a bag of Doritos open from a mile away.

I was camping on Padre Island a couple of years ago. It was Spring and there was a big crab hatch along the shore, hundreds of thousands of baby crabs making a mad dash from the dunes to the Gulf. Overhead, the gulls were in a frenzy over the crab buffet. All day long. Like a squadron of screaming babies from above. Quite an annoyance.

I increasingly think the parakeets that swarm in London parkland are arseholes. To begin with they were all exotic; it was really incongruous to see these tropical birds in not so tropical UK, out in all weathers, and there were all these weird origin myths, involving Hendrix and (predictably for Brexit Britain) the second world war. Now they're just squawking habitat-monopolising knobheads. Fuck 'em. They almost make me sympathetic to magpies. Almost.