Re: Coffee

jfv wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm ...and any other suggestions on roasters, etc. in the Chicago area are appreciated. I'd rather start sending my money their way than Starbucks.
Metropolis is probably the most well known and consistent one. Some people rave about Dark Matter but I was never blown away. I haven't had a chance to try Glassworks but hear great things.
Music

I have Baratza Virtuoso grinder and a Bodom French press, but I’m in the market for a new drip machine because I don’t think my current (cheap, 15-yo) machine is heating the water sufficiently. A friend suggested the Breville BDC400BSS. GAMYF

sparky wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:07 pm This man has incredible hair, and I believe he knows a few things about coffee too.
Thanks again - I watched the video. Very informative! The most interesting and useful part of the video for me was the explanation of the descriptors and their relation to acidity and fermentation.
penningtron wrote: Metropolis is probably the most well known and consistent one. Some people rave about Dark Matter but I was never blown away. I haven't had a chance to try Glassworks but hear great things.
Looking into Metropolis. I also just looked up a roaster in the NW suburbs that has a few cafes not too far from where I live and plan to check them out. https://www.consciouscup.com/
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

losthighway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm I have a boutique shop in town that imports and roasts their own beans. I have found their stuff is such high quality I like all of their beans and my taste buds now are repulsed by generic or diner coffee. I never enjoyed black coffee until this routine started years ago.
If this is who I think it is, you're in Denver. What is this shop?

As for my deal, at home I use an Aeropress, inverse method. I have a Cuisinart burr grinder which I think is the starter burr grinder, but I lost a part and now I can't use it so I use my old small blade grinder. I use the same grinder for spices and after a trip to the dishwasher my coffee does not taste like cumin or chili powder or whatever.

I think Peruvian is my jam. I've been drinking the Peruvian from Ampersand roasters in Boulder, CO at home and I love it. I work at a brewery and when we get these Peruvian beans from a local roaster for our coffee stouts and I use leftover beans in our coffee. I used to get the Nordic blend from Vail Mountain at the grocery store. It's Viennese, so it's nice and rich without that dumb dark taste. Very affordable and makes the most solid, reliable cup of coffee. In the same way that what I'm always looking for in beer is the best simple lager, like a fancy Budweiser, I'm always looking for the best version of diner or café coffee. I like my coffee like I like my Sabbath, but I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying creamer.

At work I use that same burr grinder as mentioned before with Piñon beans ($10 for a 2lb bag at Costco) in a Ninja 12-cup machine. The machine is great at $80ish and gets the water around 200º. I also do the employee coffee buying at my job, so if anybody knows who has a good crowd-pleasing roast in a 5lb bag somewhere in the $60 range, I'm all ears.

Adam P wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pm I have Baratza Virtuoso grinder and a Bodom French press, but I’m in the market for a new drip machine because I don’t think my current (cheap, 15-yo) machine is heating the water sufficiently. A friend suggested the Breville BDC400BSS. GAMYF

Look at the Bonavita. It is very simple and awesome. Thermal carafe recommended. Mine has been in daily use for 8 years now. Takes normal melita cone filters.

motorbike guy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 am
Adam P wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pm I have Baratza Virtuoso grinder and a Bodom French press, but I’m in the market for a new drip machine because I don’t think my current (cheap, 15-yo) machine is heating the water sufficiently. A friend suggested the Breville BDC400BSS. GAMYF

Look at the Bonavita. It is very simple and awesome. Thermal carafe recommended. Mine has been in daily use for 8 years now. Takes normal melita cone filters.
Their site lists an "audible signal" when it finishes brewing. Erroneously, this is listed as a feature. Is there any way to turn that off? The manual says nothing.

biscuitdough wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:55 am
motorbike guy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 am

Their site lists an "audible signal" when it finishes brewing. Erroneously, this is listed as a feature. Is there any way to turn that off? The manual says nothing.
mine does not do that. but mine is the older more squared off version. the new ones are more cylindrical. I am not familiar with them. Sorry. If it beeps when it is done, that is unfortunate. maybe go in there and snip the wire to the beeper?