Re: Why isn't there an artist friendly Spotify alternative?

Kniferide wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:32 pm Is Tidal even a thing anymore? I've never known a single person that used it.
It is - I'm using it rn, though I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. This press release recently made the rounds where they said they'd be tying artist revenues more directly to streams "at some point in 2022". I've seen some statements that have said it's not all their revenue that'll be distributed this way, but a certain percentage. Seems like it could end up being as much PR as actual benefit; time will tell.

As a streaming service it's basically Spotify with a less-cluttered interface, no podcasts, and the ability to specifically choose to listen to lossless audio (if you pay). Their catalog is a tad less deep than Spotify's but it's basically the same for what I listen to. They're owned by Block/Square aka Jack Dorsey so it's not like they're some paragon of corporate do-goodery.

Bandcamp is still the best alternative - I basically use Tidal as an audition mechanism for Bandcamp purchases and/or a way to keep less music stored on my phone. I just wish Bandcamp's streaming audio was a bit better-sounding, but it's a small quibble considering how much they're doing right.

Ace K wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:41 pm I think there will never be an artist-friendly Spotify because 1) quite simply, these streaming services are dependent on the value of music being essentially zero
Isn't it a true and good thing that the music itself is worth nothing? That way it can't be monetized effectively and can continue to be an unregulated activity between people. I don't know, I'm not an economics guy.
Mooner | Gerund | The Ugly Bishops | Solo

Leeplusplus wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:14 pm
Ace K wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:41 pm I think there will never be an artist-friendly Spotify because 1) quite simply, these streaming services are dependent on the value of music being essentially zero
Isn't it a true and good thing that the music itself is worth nothing? That way it can't be monetized effectively and can continue to be an unregulated activity between people. I don't know, I'm not an economics guy.
I mean I guess if you think that people shouldn't be able to make art for a living and that only corporations should profit from art then it's good but uhh
sparkling anti-capitalist

Ace K wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:10 pm
Leeplusplus wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:14 pm
I mean I guess if you think that people shouldn't be able to make art for a living and that only corporations should profit from art then it's good but uhh
Making art for a living makes no sense to me, as far as I understand art.
Mooner | Gerund | The Ugly Bishops | Solo

i had amazon music for a year and it was fine. the sound quality is just as bad as spotify apparently
what hifi wrote:Amazon has been coy about revealing its streaming bitrate, claiming to support “multiple bitrates”, but we’d bet our reference hi-fi system that it’s not dissimilar from Spotify’s 320kbps streams.

Listen to the two side-by-side through a budget pair of headphones connected to a smartphone or laptop, and differences are barely audible.

It takes an accomplished DAC/headphone combo, such as the Chord Hugo 2/Grado SR325e, to discern Amazon has a slight edge.
now i don't know what to do. i'll probably have to decide soon before i hear another serena williams ad.