Flipper-Ha Ha Ha
Total votes: 5 (38%)
Husker Du-It's Not Funny Anymore
Total votes: 8 (62%)
Total votes: 13

Re: C/NC: Parody bands

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:31 am
zorg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:03 am
It’s a pretty tired exercise, but I still chortled.
I cannot wait for this.

Also, I feel like Al’s originals and “style parody” songs can be better than the straight up parody tunes. Nature Trail to Hell, Craigslist - brilliant stuff. The polka medleys are always great too and are awesome little time capsules of what was popular at the time.
Went to see Al this past Spring on the tour where he and his band are playing his originals and style parodies only, doing the stripped-down, everyone seated, "MTV Unplugged"-looking informal setup. It was fucking awesome, way better than when I saw them with all the schtick and costume changes.

Weird Al and his band should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I don't really consider that a hot take.
IfIHadAHiFi
Body Futures

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:31 am
zorg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:03 am
It’s a pretty tired exercise, but I still chortled.
I cannot wait for this.

Also, I feel like Al’s originals and “style parody” songs can be better than the straight up parody tunes. Nature Trail to Hell, Craigslist - brilliant stuff. The polka medleys are always great too and are awesome little time capsules of what was popular at the time.
"Satirical biography", huh? I think I would have preferred a straight biography. Will watch, though.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:11 pm "Satirical biography", huh? I think I would have preferred a straight biography.
Yeah, that sort of thing killed the Longmont Potion Castle doc. Clips with him or his prank calls were great, but the extra bits trying to drum up fake drama were stupid. And Rainn Wilson was in that one too..

There's always the Behind the Music episode I suppose. It's funny how pissed Coolio got over that one song.
Music

rsmurphy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:01 pm ^ I was just curious if one would consider Spinal Tap a parody band or are they more satirical? Is there a difference?
I am not completely sure, but I don’t think they belong in the same category as Weird Al, some of the other bands mentioned, or someone like Bob Rivers or Pinkard & Bowden.

Tap, for me, seems like they belong in the same category as Python’s musical output… satire sounds right. Both are very much worth talking about, regardless!
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)