Total votes: 2 (7%)
Cruller
Total votes: 4 (14%)
Bear Claw (No votes)
Other
Total votes: 6 (21%)
Total votes: 29

Re: Best Donut/Doughnut Type

A crueler with frosting (but no glaze) tops my personal list. I also love a plain old fashioned and plain buttermilk (which are hard to find). Frosted cakes are also great.

I’m not crazy about glaze on donuts. It too often makes it way too sweet.

Jelly- and cream-filled donuts are okay every once in a blue moon, but I never actually crave them.

Apple fritters are the hardest ones to get right. The gap between a good example and a bad one is greater for fritters than any other donut.

I enjoy frosted cake and buttermilk.

My mother owned a donut shop when I was a kid. She used to bring home all of the unsold donuts and I would shove them in my mouth after school. Consequently, I was getting my clothes from the Husky aisle in Sears until my mom sold the shop and I got a summer job mowing lawns. I went from chonk to beanpole in a matter of months. My mom’s shop eventually burned me out on glazed and all of its varietals, and I’ve preferred cake ever since. I do enjoy a fritter from time to time.

kokorodoko wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:30 am Don't know if they are represented here, the ones I like look like this or this. I guess the second would be a jelly. I keep it simple.
Sugar and/or Cinnamon Dusted was one category I eliminated when reducing to 8. My logic was that those often overlap with Old Fashioned and Jelly/Custard. I should have also made the top two Glazed/Plain and Cake/Frosted Cake...
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Crullers by a mile, then old fashioned and their cider cousins. Another half mile down the road is the glazed with frosting on top, preferably without sprinkles. Strawberry, chocolate, pseudo-vanilla stuff, all fine.

I don’t like the filled ones much except the lemon ones.

I really dislike sour cream donuts and chocolate cake donuts.

The bear claw and fritter are no more donuts than danishes are.