Gas Stoves?

Crap
Total votes: 3 (16%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 16 (84%)
Total votes: 19

Re: Stove: Gas

I've been keen to get off the gas for ages. I hate paying the gas line charge. Gas just isn't a good deal any more.

I'll need to switch over the hot water and the heating as well before I can. I want to get one big heat pump to replace the both gas fireplaces and the hot water; you can do that all in one unit. Plus air conditioning in summer. It will be so much better.

And finally get rid of the old gas stove. I want a nice flat induction cooktop that I can wipe clean. No more having to soak all the knobbly bits of gas burner and racks in the sink. Plus the science is cool and I'm down for using the most energy-efficient method, sure.

I like cooking with gas, and I'm kinda skeptical that it has that much of a negative effect on anyone who doesn't have other health issues.

But it's sort of infantile to be overly attached to fire that isn't even coming into contact with your food.

Would get an induction stove if ours ever died. It's probably never going to die, though, so we'll just keep using it. With the range hood on.

I'm tired of the igniters on our gas stove going bad, plus the broiler seems to be broken. We're going to get an induction range at some point.

We've already gotten rid of our gas water heater in favor of a heat pump water heater. Replacing the gas furnace with a heat pump is on the list too. There are rebates for these replacements as the state of California and our local utilities will facilitate. Some of those are funded by the US Inflation Reduction Act , so they're likely available elsewhere too.

We are able to purchase grid power generated by renewables even if we don't have solar panels (yet) . I realize that some of that is actually going to be dirty power and that we're really just funding the clean generation of that much power at the moment, but it still seems worthwhile.

Another factor is that we live ~10 miles from the San Andreas fault & I'd rather not worry about shutting off our gas along with everything else.

I enjoy cooking with gas. If I average about 4-6 Therms per month usage, that's about 48-72 lbs of CO2 added to the atmosphere, or about equivalent to what an average vehicle uses in about 60-75 miles driving, or one day's commute for many Americans. That assumes I'm averaging about an hour's use of a single 18,000 BTU burner a day, which probably isn't near what I'm typically using.

It's a fart in a hurricane. There are much more significant ways to make an impact.

I think that the main objection is indeed that gas stoves pollute the indoor air. This was something I have never considered, honestly, and I have had gas stoves in every house I've lived in as a an adult and never once had a vent hood that went outside.

So, I'm wondering if my enormous pile of cast iron will work on an induction stovetop or if it's even worth fugkcing with if I'm just gonna fuck off to Barcelona the second It's remotely feasible.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:42 am I think that the main objection is indeed that gas stoves pollute the indoor air. This was something I have never considered, honestly, and I have had gas stoves in every house I've lived in as a an adult and never once had a vent hood that went outside.

So, I'm wondering if my enormous pile of cast iron will work on an induction stovetop or if it's even worth fugkcing with if I'm just gonna fuck off to Barcelona the second It's remotely feasible.
Cast iron should work great with an induction cooktop.

I realize the concern may be the indoor air quality issue. I have a 650 CFM hood that vents to the outside, so it's not a concern for me. I've lived in places where I didn't have a vented range and avoided high-temperature cooking. No wok, no searing meat on cast iron, doing really anemic braises out of fear of too much smoke and spatter. It sucked. One of the reasons I love the semi-commercial kitchen setup I have now so much, and would be loathe to give it up.

dontfeartheringo wrote: So, I'm wondering if my enormous pile of cast iron will work on an induction stovetop or if it's even worth fugkcing with if I'm just gonna fuck off to Barcelona the second It's remotely feasible.
I'd cook all my meals in a fuckin' Instant Pot if I could live abroad.
Music