Gas Stoves?

Crap
Total votes: 3 (16%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 16 (84%)
Total votes: 19

Re: Stove: Gas

Geiginni wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:52 am
dontfeartheringo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:42 am I think that the main objection is indeed that gas stoves pollute the indoor air. This was something I have never considered, honestly, and I have had gas stoves in every house I've lived in as a an adult and never once had a vent hood that went outside.

So, I'm wondering if my enormous pile of cast iron will work on an induction stovetop or if it's even worth fugkcing with if I'm just gonna fuck off to Barcelona the second It's remotely feasible.
Cast iron should work great with an induction cooktop.

I realize the concern may be the indoor air quality issue. I have a 650 CFM hood that vents to the outside, so it's not a concern for me. I've lived in places where I didn't have a vented range and avoided high-temperature cooking. No wok, no searing meat on cast iron, doing really anemic braises out of fear of too much smoke and spatter. It sucked. One of the reasons I love the semi-commercial kitchen setup I have now so much, and would be loathe to give it up.
I read somewhere that cast iron should not be used on induction, can't recall why. I did it for years and it was great.

Yes, the concern is with indoor air quality and possible causing of asthma. Seems strange to me that this correlation/causation is just now being learned, though. I'm suspicious.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

I have a question. My wife has been watching this show about kitchen remodeling in high end homes in the UK, some of them literal castles, and I have noticed that a great many installations are lacking a venting solution altogether. I mean these are people doing La Cornue ovens, totally bespoke cabinetry with hand milled legs, and individual sand-cast drawer pulls, and the whole place must reek of cod for a week. Or maybe they just do it for show and order out curry every night? Anyway, it struck me as odd. And honestly if there was a problem with gas stoves it's that people have shit ventilation, or they don't even know it, but have one of those vents that just filters the air, but isn't ducted outside.

zorg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 am I have a question. My wife has been watching this show about kitchen remodeling in high end homes in the UK, some of them literal castles, and I have noticed that a great many installations are lacking a venting solution altogether. I mean these are people doing La Cornue ovens, totally bespoke cabinetry with hand milled legs, and individual sand-cast drawer pulls, and the whole place must reek of cod for a week.
We have an electric range in the middle of the kitchen with no hood. While I'll crack a window for the occasional blackening of salmon or whatever to not trigger the smoke detector most other smells don't stick around too long, and it's a single floor bungalow. I also don't deep fry at home for several reasons. We do light quite a bit of incense or sage around here but mostly for relaxation.
Music

zorg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 am I have a question. My wife has been watching this show about kitchen remodeling in high end homes in the UK, some of them literal castles, and I have noticed that a great many installations are lacking a venting solution altogether. I mean these are people doing La Cornue ovens, totally bespoke cabinetry with hand milled legs, and individual sand-cast drawer pulls, and the whole place must reek of cod for a week. Or maybe they just do it for show and order out curry every night? Anyway, it struck me as odd.
That sounds bonkers to me. I'd never do another kitchen without a good commercial-style vent hood. Even with a induction cooktop, I'd still plan to spend 25% of that budget or more on a good hood.

I do shit in my kitchen that would've been cause for concern in other kitchens I've had: crisp-edged smash burgers that cook in 2 minutes, perfectly seared steaks, explosion-frying in a wok, blackened catfish, a paitan stock going for many hours without turning the house into a schvitz....

Much better for cooking on than electric coil stoves, but an incredibly unhealthy thing to have in the home (which has actually been known for years!). CRAP

We're going to switch to induction, which is honestly superior to gas in almost every way, and we've got the little asian grocery store butane stove for certain particular applications.
sparkling anti-capitalist

Ace K wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 pm and we've got the little asian grocery store butane stove for certain particular applications.
We use those for hot pot occasionally (right at the table), and my gfs family has been doing so for ages, and always wondered "how is it safe to be doing this.."
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 pm
Ace K wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 pm and we've got the little asian grocery store butane stove for certain particular applications.
We use those for hot pot occasionally (right at the table), and my gfs family has been doing so for ages, and always wondered "how is it safe to be doing this.."
As A Matter Of Fact,
sparkling anti-capitalist