Gas Stoves?

Crap
Total votes: 3 (16%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 16 (84%)
Total votes: 19

Re: Stove: Gas

enframed wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pm
Ace K wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 pm Much better for cooking on than electric coil stoves, but an incredibly unhealthy thing to have in the home (which has actually been known for years!). CRAP
Really?
I know way more people who have trouble breathing around pets than an open flame.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Ace K wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 pm Much better for cooking on than electric coil stoves, but an incredibly unhealthy thing to have in the home (which has actually been known for years!). CRAP
Really?
Well yeah.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... alth-risks

If you're using a gas stove, definitely keep the hood running and doors and windows open as much as possible. They also leak methane, which isn't great either!
sparkling anti-capitalist

jfv wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:40 pm
Really?
I know way more people who have trouble breathing around pets than an open flame.
That's because they're *allergic* to the animals, and simply absorbing harmful levels of air pollution from the stove. There's a growing body of evidence that indoor pollution from gas stoves has a significant role in the development of childhood asthma
sparkling anti-capitalist

^ Yes, I’m familiar with that research, I posted it earlier in this thread.

The research also says something around 80% of stoves do not have proper venting, and the numbers are consistent with children’s asthma caused by exposure to smoke.

The conclusion I draw is to make sure your stove is properly vented, and then it likely won’t be “incredibly unhealthy”.

This brings us back to environmental soundness. If the way for your stove to not give your kids asthma is to bore out a 6” hole in your insulated wall for a girthy duct, maybe the best choice is still induction.

That’s assuming you have good insulation.

biscuitdough wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 am This brings us back to environmental soundness. If the way for your stove to not give your kids asthma is to bore out a 6” hole in your insulated wall for a girthy duct, maybe the best choice is still induction.

That’s assuming you have good insulation.
Yeah, I'd agree that induction is a good choice. It's safer (from a fire/explosion standpoint) than electric or gas, pollutes less than gas, uses less electricity than electric, and has other benefits. The only trade-offs seem to be that there is a bit of a learning curve, and expense.