Re: Little Details from Your Day

rsmurphy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:10 am I have spent the entire weekend consumed with news about the murder of Tyre Nichols at the hands of the police and EMTs. Can't even sleep. My usual online haunts had a wealth of support and love for the passing of Tom Verlaine, but nary a word about the passing of Tyre Nichols. What makes it that much more annoying is I've never cared for Mr. Verlaine's music. Like, really? That's what we're on about this weekend? No BLM shoutouts or calls to defund the police? Marquee Moon it is. Never understood the love for that record. Bought and sold it at least two times.
I read this morning that Tyre Nichols’ mom asked people to pray for the police who murdered him and for their families as well.

It broke my heart all over again.

rsmurphy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:10 am I have spent the entire weekend consumed with news about the murder of Tyre Nichols at the hands of the police and EMTs. Can't even sleep. My usual online haunts had a wealth of support and love for the passing of Tom Verlaine, but nary a word about the passing of Tyre Nichols. What makes it that much more annoying is I've never cared for Mr. Verlaine's music. Like, really? That's what we're on about this weekend? No BLM shoutouts or calls to defund the police? Marquee Moon it is. Never understood the love for that record. Bought and sold it at least two times.
I'm sorry, this sucks. I've been feeling so defeated over this latest police murder (that has been publicized anyway, who knows how many more happened in the last few weeks.) We had a conversation about it with our kids, my son kind of derailed his boy scouts meeting talking about it yesterday (which was a good thing.) This country is superfucked in a way that doesn't feel fixable.
https://grassjaw.bandcamp.com/
https://eighteenhundredandfrozetodeath.bandcamp.com/
https://www.landspeedrecording.com/
FKA - the finger genius
Wowza in Kalamazoo wrote: ...the noise of divorce...

BrendanK wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:03 pm
I'm sorry, this sucks. I've been feeling so defeated over this latest police murder (that has been publicized anyway, who knows how many more happened in the last few weeks.) We had a conversation about it with our kids, my son kind of derailed his boy scouts meeting talking about it yesterday (which was a good thing.) This country is superfucked in a way that doesn't feel fixable.
Several years ago, this horrible tragedy would have been covered up and the police officers would still be on the streets.

Progress is being made, though not enough and not fast enough. Signs are there that fighting this shit is working, though. Keep fighting.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:08 pm Several years ago, this horrible tragedy would have been covered up and the police officers would still be on the streets.
You're probably right to some extent, but it still took weeks to decide to hold some of the officers accountable, and the white officers who were there (included one who tased him) still seem to have gotten away with it. The brutality of it, the pointlessness of it, it's all too much.

I have a hard time with seeing this as progress. I'm very ready to live in a society where police officers don't murder people, and if we can't be there then I'm ready to live in a society where we don't have police officers.
https://grassjaw.bandcamp.com/
https://eighteenhundredandfrozetodeath.bandcamp.com/
https://www.landspeedrecording.com/
FKA - the finger genius
Wowza in Kalamazoo wrote: ...the noise of divorce...

My partner is out of town for a few days. I left work early to take advantage of a full evening to myself.

As I got into bed early this morning, it occurred to me that I would probably spend a lot of my life just how I had spent the previous 8 hours, if she were not in my life. That ...gave me pause.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

I've been studying Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit for over two years. I've been getting the sense that in this I am unlocking my world in some sense, uncovering a crucial piece in being able to comprehend it and take possession of my creative intellect; that it's opening up the way for engaging with Marx, Lacan, the Frankfurters, phenomenology, Deleuze, Zizek... with all that follows from this. Got lots of work cut out for me.

HOWEVER, I realize now that this has all been a waste of time, because James Lindsay has already solved the entire problem:

I'm devastated. How could I not see this? So simple.
born to give

Thanks for saying this, all of this. I can’t feel anything for the death of some guy who lived a relatively long life when yet another young dude was publicly executed. Nichols never got to tour the world and do the best heroin the 70s had to offer.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:48 amI can’t feel anything for the death of some guy who lived a relatively long life when yet another young dude was publicly executed. Nichols never got to tour the world and do the best heroin the 70s had to offer.
There is room to mourn both. I was in my feelings when I shared the original post, and I certainly meant no disrespect to Tom Verlaine, or to dismiss the emotions of my friends who have a great deal of admiration for him, as well as a deep love for his music. It was just upsetting to me that inside I felt like I couldn't really talk about what was going on inside my head because everyone was up in their feelings about Television. I know that that's an unequivocally false thing to believe, but my head, she is a mess sometimes. And to that point it's one of a few reasons why I deactivated my profile - shit fucks with my head and that's on me.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell