Re: Woodworking thread?

I had very little woodworking experience before taking the course. Most of the work involved hand tools - chisels / planes / scrapers - which were pretty easy to get accustomed to. The course went way beyond my expectations - it was a lot of work with very little down time. There were 6 of us with 2 instructors and I think every guitar turned out really great (2 flamencos / 4 classical).

Padauk is very pretty. I had never heard of it until the first day of class when we were choosing the materials for the back / sides / top. I'm pretty glad I went against my instinct to go with Indian Rosewood. It was a really empowering experience - I would recommend to anyone remotely interested. I think I will actually try and make one on my own in the fall.

built some guitars during the pandemic:
plumwood - swiss pearwood - pearwood with tops made from 100+ years old spruce piano soundboards

spanish juniper on swiss pearwood core DC T - plumwood T - plumwood J

flame ash 500 style bass with thunderbird pickups
Last edited by sick.bird on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

FM Barnicle your guitar looks awesome! FM sick bird, amazing work!

Apologies to FM Dr Balls and any other tele purists, but it had to be done:

So much more comfortable! But I couldn't bear the way it looked. I saw a video of a guy removing paint with a heat gun and a putty knife, thought that looked easy and fun, so I took it apart:

Heat gun didn't work AT ALL. Oh well. So it was lots and lots of sanding. Did a simple belly carve while I was at it. Dyed it turquoise, made the rookie mistake of leaving the open bottle of dye near the front of my bench D'OH spilled half of it and made a horrible mess. Anyway this isn't the best pic but here it is back together:

Not the prettiest thing in the world but I never liked how it looked before, this is better and more importantly, now it gets played. Before it just sat. Whoo hoo.
Last edited by MoreSpaceEcho on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

sick.bird wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 am built some guitars during the pandemic:
plumwood - swiss pearwood - pearwood with tops made from 100+ years old spruce piano soundboards

spanish juniper on swiss pearwood core DC T - plumwood T - plumwood J

flame ash 500 style bass with thunderbird pickups
That bass is stunning